1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, I get this "clicking" noise when I play

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fartripper67, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Fartripper67

Fartripper67

Aug 17, 2008
    I dunno what it is exactly, it bugs the hell outta me.

It sounds like the string bouncing off of a fret kinda.

Insight?

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Raise your action or pluck more horizontally (vs. vertically) to the fretboard. As in, pluck towards you rather than towards the bass.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Turn your treble/tone down....or.... turn your bass up... or.... get a proper setup....

4. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1 to all above.

Make sure the "clicking" isn't from improper technique first. Are you striking down towards the bass body instead of parallel with it?

(btw, by the title, I thought it was a 3rd thread for "So, I got this private message". lol)

5. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Do you have a knob called "Limiter" on your amp? If i turn that up to 80%+ i get a clicking noise thats not treble related.

6. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    it could also be strings touching the pickup magnets...

7. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Try increasing your action and playing lighter!

8. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Could be your pick too.....

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You know, I worked hard to change my technique so that I could get more fret clank.....what can I say? I love prog! :D

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Whatever you do, don't do anything to your rig or setup immediately. Investigate your technique first.

Are your strings hitting the frets or the pickups? Does your finger hit the lower string when you've struck through the string above it?

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is your bass a Lakland? I had that issue and it bugged me so much I got rid of it!

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Maybe you just stink? :bag::D

Jk man, just need a good setup, that's all.

13. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    CUT YOUR FINGERNAILS.

14. I know exactly what your talking about, it's very frustrating. There's 3 main causes, 1. your action needs to be raised, 2. Your technique and 3. Try changing your strings. I've got a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V that does it on the E string around the 1 to 3 fret. I was using Carvin's LaBella Med Heavys and switched to Fender Super Bass 8250's and it alleviated most of the problem. It seemed that the way the strings fit in the bridge saddles had alot to do with it. The other thing I had to do was change the way I pluck the strings, pluck toward you, not toward the body of the bass, that should help get rid of that annoying "clack".;)

15. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    Im really new to playing bass so feel free to ignore me BUT when i first started i rested my thumb on the neck pickup and kept it there no matter which of the five strings i was plucking. I had all kinds of fret noise. I saw a lesson ..here maybe... to let your hand float up and down as you played and rest your thumb on the string above the one your playing no matter which it is, then when plucking pluck strait up to your thumb as if you were pinching something. Any speed i had accumulated using my old method was gone, but so was almost all the abnormal noises i was getting, evidently with thumb anchored on pickup or B string i pushed down on the string too much when plucking. Bringing my fingers up to my thumb the new waym it sounds much better and also more uniform both fingers sound the same now whereas before index finger and middle finger made slightly different sounds when plucking.

PS. helps with muting alot too, now i just need to build up speed again.

16. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    it may be your wiring....
    i had a bass that had horrible guts...what kind of a bass do you have?

17. Not up until just this last year did I fingerpick the same way after 33 yrs of playing. Not til I started practicing at home by myself did I notice the difference in all the extra noise that I was creating by using that thumb resting on the bridge pup technique. Now my thumb roams as I go from string to string and I alleviate all the extra noise. As far as my speed goes I'm still just as fast as I was before, which can be pretty fast if I want it to be.

18. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ya in my experience your strings are knocking against the frets hard or against the pickup poles.

id suggest you stare at the strings.... you might actually see it happen. or just lower the pickups & see if it goes away

19. It could be:

long finger nails
    action to low
    worn frets
    warped neck
    pickups too high (lower them a bit, physically not with the knobs)
    treble/tone knob too high
    playing to close to the bridge

i put my money on either the frets, the action, or your strings touching the pups.

20. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Yeah, I hate that too, and most of these guys have sorted it out for you. I personally have pretty much no clicking due to the way I set my tone, and flatwound strings help.