So I was wrong.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jawzzz, Feb 17, 2004.

1. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    A while back I had posted that I do not see much of a difference between a bass that cost $500 or a bass that cost thousands of dollars. Well I was wrong. :eek:

Today I bought my first higher end bass....Warwick Corvette FNA 5 string. This bass is incredible! Playing it at GC on thier abused amps did not do it justice. When I got home and plugged it in to my rig, I was blown away.

My whole rig sounds better and louder. The lows are powerful,highs crystal clear, and the mids just growl.I could not be happier. I still like my Ibanez basses, but I will have to do some overhauling of the electronics now.

And by the way......Warwick kicks some serious butt. Here is a pic of my baby. :bassist:
  2. Very nice! I believe the FNA's have been discontinued, which means it's likely an older model. Older Warwicks seem to have an amazing reputation for quality around here. Good to see that you found something great!
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yes they do. Congrats on the new FNA!
  4. Hey Jawzzz, that looks super nice.

I also love basses with one pickup. Simplicity. ;)

Enjoy it.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    welcome to the sound of wood!
    bro that's a rad bass!
    the tone is outstanding!

great find and good luck with it!
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, now you know why ;)
    I think your Ibanez will not just have a bit of electronics-overhauling, but make sure to dust them of after each month! :D cause that is what happened to mine (well at least it is in its bag, therefore not dusty). well ok my case is a bit different...

Make sure to change the strings, cause after GC the strings must be quite full of dirt, and nearing their end...

Anyway nice catch! I bet yo will enjoy it - like i do :D
  7. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Part of the deal was to have new strings with the bass. My only problem is that the "B" string is a little to big. Anyone know where I can get a bigger saddle for it? Or do I just have to go with a smaller gauge "B" string? Other than that, I have not had any problems.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah you're making my Warwick GAS worse! I recently bout ma Godin so im happy but man o man, in 2 or so year i plan to own a Warwick of some sort, im currently liking the Streamer stage II, but i would have to buy used due to high price tag.
  9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    NO I DON"T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm hopeing on buying a jazz. So what I'm goin to do? is not play a real fender and just play the Squiers, so I wont know what a real Jazz plays and feels like.:D
  10. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado

I had to buy used also. I still will not pay more than $1000 for a bass. I stole this one for $950 + a new set of strings. If it was new, it would be $1800 and still be at GC. ;)
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Taper-wound if it is what i think it is... they originally come with strings that have the normal size B except at the bridge, where it shrinks to 3/4 of its size. Those fit in. There was another thread too about how to fit in bigger strings into a samller bridge slot - try a search for that
  12. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i played one of those at long and mquade and that was proably one of my favorite bass they had there. the one i played had a jazz man pup setup.

congrats man
  13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Jaws, you pretty much have to go with taper wounds on a Warwick. Some of them will never inntonate properly if you don't. Get the Warwick Black Labels, those are what it came with stock & their some pretty good strings
  14. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I played a model similar to that (had a jazz pup next to the neck), and I was really dissapointed! The tone was awesome- that wasn't the problem. Losse pots and high action! I hate GC more and more every day...
  15. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

The issue to me is more is it worth the difference for a given level of playing skill or the level a person plays at.

"The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."
  16. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Damm that bass looks familiar. ;) That bass is in great shape. Its never been in a bar and hasnt been played much. Its got a great tone to it as well. I always thought it had a better flame top to it than most of the warwicks Ive seen. Good score! Oh ya, use taper-wound strings on it. They work much better.
  17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I once played a Gibson Firebird at L&M:) It was nice vary solid great for riff rock bass. But its a horrible tease when your 14 years of age and and consider $300 for a new amp is to high:(

Nice bass\--/
  18. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I agree, I have seen many great bass players pickup a low end bass and just blow me away. I know the Warwick does not improve my playing ability by any means. It is worth it for me to have a high end bass in my arsenal just for my own piece of mind. I have more motivation to play when I have good equipment to work with that won't let me down or give me any problems. I am still an amatuer bass player and have a long way to go until I would consider myself at a professional level. I have all the tools, now it is up to me what I want to do with them. :)

Thanks guys for the insight on the taper wound strings.I figured that was what I would have to do.