So impressed with the Zoom B1XOn that I ditched the pedalboard for home practice.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2010P, Mar 25, 2018.

1. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Due to apartment size and my kid getting older and needing more space, I have been forced to downsize my area for practice. So that meant needing to ditch the amp and pedalboard and getting an all in one practice module. I picked the Zoom B1Xon.

I never in a million years thought this thing would inspire me or impress me. After all, how could digital emulation ever rival my beautiful, juicy analog pedals????

Seriously, the od's and fuzzes are amazing on the Zoom. I can't really discern too much of a difference between my "real" pedals and the emulations. At least not at bedroom levels with headphones. Add in the tons of modulators, envelope filters, synths etc, aux in, the expression pedal and the abillity to do deep editing and it all adds up to a seriously effective tool for home practice (and recording) that lets you keep the pedals safely packed away.

The Zoom will not be replacing the board for live use, but now I can keep the pedalboard safely in storage in between rehearsals and live gigs and just rely on the pretty amazing sounds in the Zoom.

The only sad thing about buying the Zoom is that I may be on the "done with dirt" bandwagon now. I've had a Hot Wax and Pork and Pickle in my cart for weeks now and just can't bring myself to hit the buy button. Same is true for the Deep Animation too. Why buy a $270 envelope follower when the ones on the Zoom are good enough the 3 times I play with that sound a year?

Anyhow, the Zoom is great.

DJ Bebop, BillMason, wmmj and 4 others like this.
  2. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

Agree. My B1on follows my bass wherever it goes, and besides my loopers, it’s pretty much replaced everything in my arsenal.

And can we just gush about that battery life for a while? Seriously, this thing is a busker’s best friend.

--^@

wmmj and 2010P like this.
  3. Zoom pedals feed a lot of my effect addiction desires.

2010P likes this.
  4. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I can see how that would happen.

5. I’ll transfer a question I posted in another thread: no peaks from high output basses?

6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I discovered Tonelib - I can’t say enough good things about my Zoom B1Xon now that I have a graphical UI and a library of effects at my mouseclick.

7. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Paul, MN
    BillMason likes this.
  8. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads-up on ToneLib! I have two B1-on's and love 'em!

BillMason likes this.
  9. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

It definitely freaks out and crackles something ugly when I dime the bass on my SUB, but it’s less prone to peaks than a lot of my pricier units, and I rarely encounter situations that call for that much bass boost anyway.

--^@

Inconnu likes this.
  10. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I'm a Zoom B1ON believer, and have enjoyed their products since the 90s. I'm not as crazy about their OD/fuzz tones, but to each his own. For that I'm partial to my MoJo MoJo pedal, and together they're quite the pair!