Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Steve......

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 29, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Whats been happening lately,

Been reading your blog and it seems you've been gigging and touring alot recently but there's not alot on up coming projects so fill us in.

I also propose a little game for all the Steve Lawson fans to play, throw in the name of who you'd like to see Steve do his next album with.

I'm really up for one with John Lester, oooOOOooo think of it the first Steve album with Double bass and vocals mmmmmmmm.

Any other ideas guys, maybe we can force him into something hehe :p

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I'd actually really really dig more Manring Lawson duets. :bassist:

That KPIG track on Steve's site totally kills!

Which of course begs the question. When you're so far from home like that- how much gear do you lug around Steve?

You created such amazing soundscapes in that track - so you must have had some of your gear - but I can't imagine lugging your full rig half way around the world.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

hmmmmmmmmm.....well, how about.....me?

(sorry Steve, I couldn't resist...)

Cheers and all that.....

Max

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    oooOOOooo for got about you Max. That would be quite cool as long as you don't burst into any solo's :bassist:

I'll add a big band one made up of, John Lester (voc, db), Patrick Wood (guitars, keyboard), Jez Carr (piano), Theo Travis (sax, flute) and of course Steve

Now this might sound really crazy but I think it would be worth ago :hyper:

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Blimey, The Pillow Mountain All-Stars... :D

you never know, it could happen, though it's more likely to happen on a wedding gig than a 'me' gig... ;)

As for more stuff with Michael, we've got a whole load of gigs together coming up in the UK, so we'll see if we get any of that recorded, and what we think of it... you never know. :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Right that's it I order one of you other Streetteamer's to get married to something, anything just do it quick and in the mancester area.

7. Detritus

Detritus

Aug 18, 2003
    Hampshire
    Purely selfishlessly: I would love to see Steve work with Bill Frisell - what a fount of inventiveness!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Steve might fancy working with Joni Mitchell (so fairs fair!). But perhaps it might be interesting if Steve sand and oni playyed bass ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Theo Travis with his own quartet at Brighton Jazz club last Friday - really good gig! He had an electric upright bass player, who played some wonderful solos, a great drummer and a very tasteful pianist!

It was mostly original compositions - apart from a very funky version of King Crimson's : "21st Century Schizoid Man" :eek: - which surprised me when he announced it, but was very exciting and fitted perfectly into their set.

Theo did some nice flute looping, which segued effortlessly into an ensemble tune and his tenor playing was great - they finished with the standard "Love for Sale" at terrific pace and with a drum solo that brought the house down!

I was impressed and bought the CD "Earth to Ether" at the door - Theo was standing there and signed a copy for me! :)

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The bassist was almost certainly Andy Hamil - interesting that he was playing his Azola electric upright. He's probably my favourite double bassist working in the UK at the moment. All of Theo's quartet are fantastic.

Earth To Ether is a marvellous album - I hope you enjoy it Bruce! I've been listening to it loads recently... It's almost as good as my album with Theo... :D :D :D

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes it was Andy Hamill - he played some wonderful quiet, melodic solos on the slower pieces - my girlfriend said to me - "he looks very young to be so good!!" - but I'm sure I've heard of him before, but couldn't quite place where...?

Yes - although I think I prefer the group pieces to those with Richard Sinclair and they were a lot more exciting and "in your face", live - especially the drumming!! :)

11. Slight tangent here but as we're talking Theo Travis - his long-time fretless bassist Rob Statham is a bit of an unsung UK bass virtuoso - I really love his playing - I know it's massivley influenced by Jaco (he plays a Fender Jazz also) but he's a great muso and he gets even more brownie points for his stuff with John Etheridge's Zappatistas - he really nails that Zappa stuff with style - anyway just wanted to big the guy up - as well as the mighty Lawson...

BTW Steve - did you enjoy the Bass Day thing at the ACM?

I thought it was a successful event - bringing a lot of different bass types together - and Willis - what an astounding player...he's tone, technique and musicianship were all top notch - anyways, I look forward to hearing more about your possible meet up with Matt G - you know he's back over with Gary Husband early next year?

I'll email you with the details

Happy Crimble

Mike

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    He's played with loads of people - check out http://www.andyhamill.com for his bio... amazing player, and a REALLY nice bloke. Another example of a successful working bassist that is as nice as they are talented... there's a theme emerging here... :)

The vocal tracks took time to grow on me - I think Richard's very English accent is a little disarming at first. But they're really grown on me now.

Mark Parnell is a fantastic drummer - I love his playing. Be sure to pick up Theo's last album, 'Heart Of The Sun' which features Palle Mikkleborg on trumpet (or however you spell his name!)

Rob's a great player - he is very Jaco, but he does it so well. great player.

I agree - Willis was outstanding. I loved his stuff. I really enjoyed the other sessions to, though was gutted to have missed Janek's set, as I picked up his album and it's really really good - heavy Matt Garrison influence there, which leads us to...

The plan is still to do something when he's over - I just haven't heard what the final dates are that Gary has for him yet... Watch this space...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

13. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Steve should hook up with Tom Araya from Slayer just to see what happens. You never know. :bassist:

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think we'd have a very interesting conversation, but I wouldn't hold much hope for the music... :p

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

15. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Why not? I'm sure you two could perform a beautiful and stunning rendition of their song "Necrophiliac". :) :hyper: