1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Software for Isolating bass tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Doo Wop, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    Is there a software program that can be used to isolate just the bass track of a recording?

2. No, not really.

3. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Unless you have a software program that hacks into the recording studio and steals the raw tracks for you, you will have to resort to magic.

4. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    I will be the first to admit that I know little or nothing about recording :) But I guess I should rephrase my question.

Is there software than can put more emphasis on the bass track, while reducing the vocals and guitars? Mainly for learning bass parts.

5. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    You could use something like Audacity (free) and EQ it so the bass is emphasized.

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    My new TASCAM MP-BT1 Bass Trainer is being delivered today. It's supposed to (among other things) "enhance" the bass line (or "deenhance" it) on recorded music. I'll let you know.

I suspect it does so by some sort of built-in EQ that ferrets out the frequencies where the bass typically dwells in a standard mix.

I've heard it's hit-and-miss. Again, I'll let you know what I think.

7. A trick I use for getting a hard to hear bass part to pop out of the mix:

Speed the thing up by a factor of 2, then stretch it out. Everything will be up an octave and sound pretty demented but the bass part will be pretty easy to pick out.

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The same thing to isolate the bass will make it pop out and that is graphic EQ. Programs like Transcribe has preset filter that are boosting or cutting the bass guitar frequency range to make it easier to hear. Work pretty good with newer recording on old stuff can get muffled. I do the same thing with iTunes it has a simple graphic EQ you can popup and I saved a couple setting to emphasize the bass. If you have access to good audio gear you can use filters to cut all freq's above and/or below a certain point. In general that is all the isolation devices or software is doing.

So as someone else said unless you can get your hands on the master recording to solo the bass track(s) EQ and filters are it.

9. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    Thanks for your help guys. :)

10. There's a program called "Best Practice" that does it. It's not perfect, but it emphasizes parts good enough so you can make them out above others.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

11. Oscar South

Oscar South

Jan 7, 2007
    Chester
    If you can find 5.1 surround versions of the audio files you can often extract just the bass or just the bass and drums.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  13. benjo09

benjo09

Jan 9, 2008
    I've used this in the past. It gives you the tab and allows you to show it across as many scales and strings as you like.

14. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    The Windows Media Player has a decent EQ that lets you bring the bass out. Its actually not too bad. I have a Tascam trainer as well and it often times makes the bass so distorted that it diffcult to pick out the bass line. I haven't tried it with a good quality set of earphones though. That might mak some difference.