software tuners?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassguitar, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Has anybody used any software tuners before?

The intonation on my bass seems to be off, but I'm not sure how accurate the tuner is on my ME-50B, especially when not on open strings. The reason I say this is that it can't tune down the open E a whole step to D for **** with it.

I've found a few online, but does anyone have links for good ones that they trust?

BTW - I've got a good soundcard and mixer so getting and accurate bass signal into the computer is no problem.
  2. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    The one I trust and use:

Anyway, with all tuners (hw/sw) I tune using 12th fret harmonics on each string. Works every time.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Please read the stickies... tuners (including software tuners) are not effects. Moved.
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    G-Tune is a software strobe tuner. Google for it if you want to check it out.
  5. So before I checked those software tuners (thanks for the links I will certainly be checking them out) I checked the 12th fret harmonic with my me50B and it comes out just fine. When I play the 12th fret, each one comes out sharp. Same thing with playing the 5th fret.

What gives?
  6. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    intonation perhaps.... that would be my guess at least
  7. It may be intonation, but wouldn't that mean that the harmonic would be out of tune as well?
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, the middle of a string always gives you the octave.

You check the intonation with it. You fret the 12th fret and compare it to the harmonic there.
    If the fretted note is sharp, you need to pull the bridge piece back.
    If the fretted note is flat, push it a little towards the neck.
  9. Cheers. I learn something new everyday. :hyper:

I'll be checking that tonite asap before practice. :bassist:
  10. So that was certainly it (intonation). I was amazed at how much I had to adjust it. It was way out!