1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo jazz bass gig!!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Frank Larouche, Nov 4, 2010.

1. OUfff!!

With my trio we play jazz each thursday in a coffee shop from 6 to 8. This week the guitarist could not be there so me and the sax player were supposed to play by ourselves ( it happenned before and it was cool!).

The things is I received a call half an hour before the gig and the sax player cannot do the gig with me and it is too late for a sub! That's not a very high profile gig but I decided to go by myself for the fun!!

I was a little bit frightening from time to time but overall it was not so bad! I learned quite a lot in two hours!!

-I know some head but not every one of them are concert quality! (I would be able to sing them but to play them on the spot can be more challenging!)

-I had difficulty to play arco sitting on a stool! It was weird as i always play standing!

-When you are alone you cannot miss a beat or a note ! that,s for sure! (I played alone together for the Irony!)

Sorry for the long post!

Is there other bassists that do the solo thing ? That's not an easy task!!

Francis

2. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I do, in fact its my primary focus.

Currently I am transcribing Eddie Gomez, Miroslav Vitous, Brian Bromberg, Eberhard Weber and Dave Friesen. Check out their solo stuff if you havent.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Thomson Kneeland just got a corporate gig for solo bass. Apparently they'd seen a few of his videos on youtube and dug it...

4. I've done this before at school but, it was only for a few days. Our guitarist (who is in my band), and like half of the school had the flu. The only people that didn't have it was the director, a tenor sax player, and our drummer. :bassist:

5. thanks J and Ed I will check those for sure!

6. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    If you haven't already, check out Jay Leonhart and Jim Ferguson. Both are singing bass players.

7. yeah I already know (and apreciate!)jay Leonhart ! he is very good and funny!

and Ed, Thompson Kneeland is very talented! Love the feel, the tone and the general ideas! His giant step vid is very very good!

8. Comedian Mitch Hedberg used to have a solo bass player on stage with him while he did his routine. I always thought that was cool.

9. Don't forget about Dave Holland. A friend just lent me "Ones All". It blew me away. Here's a video of him playing "Mr. PC":