Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soloing on a blues progression ?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by guillermo, Aug 16, 2005.

1. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Given the standard blues progression , in lets say F, what would be some "fast and dirty tricks" to solo over the changes ?

things other than using the scale that goes with the chord
    ( I.E F7 scale when on F7 , Bb7 scale when on Bb7 ) all the time...

I know music cannot be played by using just rules and tricks
    but a begginer like me needs to have a set of "tricks" I can
    use when I'm lost or in the process of getting lost in a tune

Thanks in advance
    Guillermo

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    BigEgoHead says "Seen this?"

Check out the 3 sample pages (and check out the nice bass sound Peter Karl got for me on the audio sample) and see if that look slike something you'd like to check out.

3. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Here's a "trick" I use. If you want to have a nice bluesy sounding solo, play it like a blues singer would sing.

Listen to any classic blues tunes with vocals. For instance "red house". You'll hear the call and response during bars 1&2, then again in 5&6, and then a final statement in bars 9-12.

Sorry if this wasn't the kind of "trick" you were looking for, but it's what I do to practice solos. For something more "cookie cutter" check out one of those "101 blues licks" books/cds that are written for guitar. Just play the guitar licks on your bass.

Just try singing a solo over a recoded blues progression, then try to play what you sing.

4. Listen to BB King stroke Lucille. You can get lots of ideas that transfer nicely to the bass.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The bass does indeed sound nice. :D

6. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004

Nice sound, excellent walking, I'll go and get the book
    Thanks Ed

Guillermo

7. What the hell is wrong with you? Don't you play up high in them thumb positions? Who wants to solo on top of them low notes? Don't you know any of them 'pull off' thangs?
    I guess you're just old and don't care about expressing your-ownself!

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    LOL

Actually, in all seriousness, Ed sounded GREAT when we met up. Big, full, Bassy sound.

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Ed, how was your bass recorded, and which bass was it? Great tone.

But man, how do expect to really impress anybody by merely playing boring quarter notes? Sure it swings like a motherf***er and the note choices are brilliant, but that's like been done before...yoo dig?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    It's my German factory bass, with Anima's. I like the bass booth at Peter Karl's, there's just a single Neumann set up about at chest height (well a little lower, about the diaphragm) in the front corner of the booth. It's about maybe approximately a foot and a half from the front of my bass, more towards the G string side.

Yeah, ****ing "Jaco chops". I just have to shake my head sometimes...

12. nypiano

nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC
    You should think of (what I call) major sound and minor sound blues as a start

F7: F G G# A C D F (major sound)

When over F7 use the entire scale. When over Bb7 eliminate the A.

on minor sound blues:

F7: F Ab Bb B C Eb F.

You can play this over F7 but it generally implies a "dark mode" imposition. The best thing would be to continue to develop on the same scales over the Bb to be melodically consistent. Over Bb it implies a Bbsus approach. Stick in a D resolution when it seems appropriate.

For me the V7 still implies I 6/4 therefore probably more of the tonic oriented phrases. It just needs to sound like it your phrase is going to the tonic.

You can also combine the scales so you get this

F G Ab A Bb B C D Eb. This phrase is an example:

pick up F / Ab A Bb B C A F

Once you become thoroughly versed in your phrases, the color choices become more instinctive rather than calculated. You then can add more harmonic, jazz oriented phrases. George Benson is a master of that as well as Herbie Hancock

13. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Thanks a lot nypiano, I'll start trying that out today

Guillermo

14. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Ed, you must have played on all the tracks, then, right?

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yeah, the band was
    Dan Greenblatt - tenor (there are tracks that you can hear the tenor playing the exercises, and tracks with no tenor. the tracks that have tenor, he's isolated to one side of the stereo picture and you can turn him off.)
    Dave Marck - piano
    me -you know
    Chris Roselli - drums

16. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    It's too bad we can't turn you off... :p

I mean, you know, to practice.

17. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I mean, of course, that it's too bad the bass isn't completely on the right track, so that we could walk under the sax.

Other than that, that sample track is phenomenal. I'm going to pick this book up. As usual, I am in awe of you Ed.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    stay tuned for further developments...

19. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Is this a development that will make us wish we had waited before buying the book?

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Dan's book is a guide to improvisation through using the two blues scales to get your ear around hearing how to develop a line through changing harmony. I'm working on a book that will focus primarily on building a melodic quarter note walking line.