Some basses really are different

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It is interesting to see how you can try a number of basses of the same type and manufacturer and discover that there are pretty major differences in them. I bought an MIA Fender Jazz bass a few weeks ago and found it is head and shoulders above a number of others I tried. As with any major purchase, I took my time trying a number of them with different rigs, etc. just to make sure that was what I wanted. All of them were good, really although I could see variations in the necks of one sort or another. They all sounded good, but had even subtle differences in tone. Obviously they all had very minor flaws of one sort or another.

When I picked up the jazz bass I eventually brought home, it was simply AMAZING. The neck was perfect - nice and flat; with a minor trussrod adjustment, the action was very, very fast and felt great. The tone was absolutely SCARY - granted it is ash with a maple neck and the others were alder (I think) with rosewood boards. Nice and growly - very thick yet clear and punchy with warm lows and more highs than I will ever use. Not that the others I tried were bad, but this bass was much more alive and had more presence than I found with the others. The open E was fantastic as well - some of the others I tried were just not that strong. Anyway, I was overjoyed with my purchase. I took it to church and when I came in at the beginning of the first song it was like whoa... enter the bass player. Our pastor looked over and grinned at me. :D

Anyway, not sure why this happens - maybe it is just Fender (I've heard their quality control has become so-so). Or maybe it is just the folks that happened to make my bass that day. Or, other? Dunno. Anyone else have this experience?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup. Fender quality control. Essentially.