Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some cool VST links

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 15, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I started using Cubase a few weeks ago, and I think that half of the fun that I've had so far has come from scouring the internet looking for free VST synths and effects. Here are some of the better ones I've come across and like to use. I like synths or effects that come in sets, as you might be able to tell.

If you have any more to add, please do so.

(FYI - these are all free! :D)

Tweakbench
    This site has a whole slew of awesome stuff. If you've ever wanted to do any old-school Nintendo music, these are the VSTi's you need! Between the Peach and Triforce synths and the Toad drum machine, you can make all sorts of NES-sounding songs. The effects are pretty cool too, though I have not had a lot of time to futz around with them.

CYGNUS, Gargoyle, and EZ-Poly
    The link above has a few other synths on the same page, but these three I think are awesome. CYGNUS has probably one of the coolest GUI's ever, and is great for far-out space related sounds. Gargoyle is cool for horror movie-type sounds, and EZ-Poly is a great overall synth that can do some sweet lead tones.

Kjaerhus Audio Classic Effects
    This is a purty suite of effects that are really awesome. You've got all your bases covered here, from a compressor to chorus. I've used them all and they sound great. Each one has a lot of adjustable parameters, too, which is nice.

4Front Piano Module
    This is a simple piano VSTi to use, especially considering there are no presets, parameters, or settings. You just turn it on and start programming notes. It sounds pretty good though, especially considering the nonexistant price tag. There are some other VST doohickeys on the site, though I haven't had the time to check them all out.

Loopazoid
    Loopazoid is one of the easier to use samplers I've found. It's simple, straightforward, and gets the job done. What more can you ask for?

TubeBaby Amp Simulator
    TubeBaby does a good job, I think. I'm no guitar player, but I like the way it's sounded when I've doodled around with it. Simple with a clean interface.

SoundEditor
    This is actually a list of about 72 free synths, some of which I've tried. If you just like browsing around for various and sundy items, this is a good place to look.

KVR Audio
    Like the above link, this will lead you to all sorts of goodies. You can search for very specific items, which is nice. Just makes sure to indicate what OS you're using, and that you want Free VST items, as opposed to demos or trialware. (Unless you want demos or trialware.)

I'll post more as I find them. :)

2. Just hang out on the KVRAudio forums and check for new VST/VSTis there. There are a few of mine on there. ;)

And don't forget www.rocketloop.com!

EDIT: Oh and owning these is manditory: http://www.jackdark.net/darkwareother.html

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    thanks for the links and info.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    DR-Fusion2

This drum machine is great! It's probably one of my favorites right now. Scroll down a bit on the main page, and you'll see it. Tons of great sounds in this one.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sweet! Thanks for the link. Synthedit looks like it would be a blast to use, as does that IR Reverb. I'll have to check both of those out when I'm not at work...

6. Synthedit is capable of some quite amazing stuff (check out some of ZioKiller's stuff, for example!), though it has an unusual reputation. You'll see what I mean.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Can someone direct me to a free VST that will generate an organ sound? I can't get my midi keyboard to cooperate with Cubase so I thought I'd try one of those "virtual instrument" things. :/

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Drawbar
    There are a couple of organ sounds on this site, but the one I like is Drawbar, which is all the way at the bottom. If you work your way through the presets, you'll probably find an organ sound you like.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks a lot, SuperDuck, that thing sounds excellent. :eek:

Is it normal that Cubase spits out silent wavs/mp3s if I select my SB Live as the midi output, by the way? I use my Zoom B2.1u to record instruments, but it can't do midi. I like the way my Live's organ and piano samples sound and would like to use them in my songs but they always come up silent after the mixdown when I record them in Cubase. If I use a VST as the midi output, it doesn't "vanish".

If there's no workaround for this, that's okay too, as I like "Drawbar" just as much as my Live's organ samples and I guess there are also quality piano VSTs out there.

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    more cool links - thanks :)

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Okay, now that I've sort of got the hang of VSTs, I still have the feeling their volume is a bit low compared to real instruments that I record. Is there a way to make them a bit louder without distortiong them too much?

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Usually there is an overall volume control on the gui of each interface. Most of them have to be controlled that way as opposed to in the software mixer.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I used Drawbar's volume control but it still doesn't seem loud enough for some reaosn. Hmm, perhaps it's a problem with my speakers.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I guess it was my speaker settings, I use 2x10 bass combo as a "PA" to monitor the output of Cubase and I think I must have fiddled too much with its gain settings. After audio mixdown of a single VST track, it is about as loud as the average mp3 I have on my computer.

15. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I've recently gotten into the vst thing as well.. ..and holy hell there is a lot of things that are possible to do.

My band and I are currently recording a new demo (using me and my computer), and vsti's and vst effects have been great to have this far.

I'm pretty confident that the end result will be pretty good, considering the budget we're on. :D

Here are some great freebies:

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_kit7freedownload.html
    - great free drumkit. I don't use it personally, but it sounds pretty realistic. The drums have up to 23 velocity samples. It's supposed to be the absolute best you can get for the price.. ..which is nothing. :hyper:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/682.html
    - pretty decent drawbar organ. Has a nag screen that goes away after about 30 seconds if you haven't registered it.

http://www.dream.vortex.btinternet.co.uk/documents/29.html
    - mellotron vsti that sounds pretty good.

I also downloaded a free piano soundfont called Splendid Grand a couple of weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it now. Shame, cause it really sounded good. That actually reminds me that you can't use soundfonts with cubase if you don't have some tools.. Of course, that's free as well:

http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm
    - sfz is a great free vst plug that's good if you want to use soundfonts with cubase (or any other program that supports vst plugins, but not soundfonts).

http://www.home.no/gunnare/
    - MiniMogue is a pretty good emulation of the MiniMoog

^^ Those are only some of the free stuff that's out there, and a little searching will get you lots of other stuff. :smug:

16. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway

Click the midi track that you've assigned the vsti to, then look at mixer bar to the left. At the bottom of the other things there should be a bar with the name of the vsti. Next to the name, there is a button with an e on it. Click that one, and the mixer window for the vst will turn up. Adjust the volume there.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This drum kit is awesome! I'm surprised I forgot to mention it before. I use it with Loopazoid, which I mentioned in the first post, and I have to say that the drum sounds are great. My only gripe is that I would have liked a more aggressive kick drum sound, though I can't really complain considering what it cost me. :smug:

18. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Nice VST's... thanks for those

These all work with Sonar i think? I've still not got through all my project5 stuff!

19. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose