Some fusion featuring my new bass...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

Just got a mac and my new LowEnd jazz bass, so it seemed natural to do some playing around with Garageband. After a few days of messing around I've got this to show for it, warts and all. Just had my friend Andy over to do his best fusion guitar wanking (I love Allan Holdsworth!), mixed it down, and here it is.

Hope it doesn't sound to crummy...I'm listening to it on my Portapro phones and it's a little bassy, but so are the phones.
  2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Way to go!
    Sounds really Marcus-like on the slap. Which is meant as a huge compliment, both to the builer and you! Nice playing and sounds.
    Please let us know when you do more of these.

3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I guess I should have mentioned at the top that the real bass solo is in the outro, so if something turns you off in the rest of the tune at least fast forward to that!

The bass does sound good, I just hope that comes through in the clips. (Despite the combination of bad playing and bad engineering :)

4. Nice work man, over all some good ideas and really nice bass playing as well. My only minor criticism is that everything could have been a little more 'up' - the over all vibe is very muted - thus taking some of the potential excitement out of the thing - which is only a minor detraction from some really good playing and a good clean recording - I guess what I'm trying to say is that it could do with a little more 'life' in it over all - but that's not a criticism of your playing - which I think is very good. ;)

5. Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    i love the tone. the bass sounds great....
    the recording's kinda cool too, and i personally enjoyed the first solo better.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm really digging this! Yeah, the volume could be turned way up as I could barely hear it. The bass playing is excellent and I loved the slap section! Nice groove and no wanking! Made me enjoy it more. That's how I like my slap! Only thing missing was a good Rhodes solo!
  7. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Munki, I think I dropped the ball leaving the guitar a little low in some spots. I guess it's subconscious retribution for all the times I've been hosed by guitar players volume wise. :D

SMASH- To tell you the truth, I just ran the bass straight into my USB pre. The slap tone is both pickups full on with a U shaped EQ curve on the bass but no EQ on the computer. The fingerstyle solo parts were obviously mostly bridge PU with a little neck, cut treble and boost mids/bass. I used the bridge coil tap on the second solo which makes it a little rounder tonally. I actually think soundwise I was going for Christian McBride's EBG sound on his latest fusion records. He uses a 70's style jazz bass as well.

EDIT: Yeah, I took off my headphones and realized the overall volume is low. I'll try to get the whole thing a little hotter and remix.
  8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice! The new Low End sounds great, as well as the song!

9. Yeah - crank yourself up - no need to hide such nice chops and tone...! :smug:
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: S M O K I N ' :bassist:

I would buy a disc of that in a heartbeat!

forget how good that bass sounds, YOU sound killer Wil!!!
  11. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You guys are way too kind. Thanks.
  12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    DAMN, I'll buy the CD, wheres the full length................

Will you make that bass sound smokin! Very tastefull!

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great job Will! I like it a lot. I'm not a huge "fusion" fan but that was very understated. I like that it was delicate. Great chords!
  14. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's not hard to make it sound good, Brian! It's a player!

Andy...thanks, but you play six-string and don't like fusion? :eyebrow: