Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some good classical pieces to play on bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by minjo82, Oct 22, 2004.

1. i've been playing bass for 4 years now.. and till now i've been listening to motown, funk, mostly r&b stuff and some jazz.. (what bassist doesnt? am i rite? haha)

anyways.. now i'm starting to see a whole new world with classical music.. but since i'm in college i'm strapped on cash.. and i can't afford to buy a whole lot of CD's.. so i wanna make sure i know what i'm buying.

so i'm wondering if any of you know some good classical music that i can play on my bass.. i guess i could go ahead and play any piece but would like to know if theres any particulur pieces that sounds exceptionally good on a bass.

any suggestions are welcome.. thank you in advance

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Check out a book entitled "J.S. Bach for Bass". It's published by Mel Bay. I'm very sure that it is still in print. It has 7 or 8 pieces written out for bass. It should keep you occupied for a little while......

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    +1 That was the exact book I was going to recommend I bought it a couple years ago and I've had a lot of fun learning the songs.

4. thank you both of you, for the info.. i read some reviews of that book and it seems that book would be perfect.. the thing is i live in korea. where it's a pain in the axx to find good learning materials for bass.. i already checked with most of the major book stores near my area with no luck.. only other option is to order from amazon but the shipping would cost more than the book....

i've decided to just go ahead and buy some bach and wrestle with that for awhile... more suggestions are welcome tho

5. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    check out www.activebass.com for some classical pieces, and you don't have to spend a dime

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've got that J.S. Bach for Bass book as well, not started doing anything from it yet.

May I also recommend a Disney for Cello book, I have one and it's a lot of fun to play through and much of it is classically orientated.

Another more modern classical piece that you might enjoy is John Myung - Solar Groove, it's on his intructional DVD but the mp3 is availabel and so is the tab online and it's a very fun song to learn and play.

Although this is moving away from "Classical" I find them very similar, enjoy.

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    rasputina's Thanks for the Ether album.

8. jpf9

jpf9

Mar 5, 2011
  9. FatAndy

FatAndy

Feb 21, 2011
    Sunshine Coast.
  10. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    John is a wonderful young artist that plays some gorgeous interpretations of classical music on his 6-string Fodera Monarchs...check him out...

John D'Ercole - Solo Bass Guitarist

Regards,

Jason