some home recording ideas

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Stingray

May 12, 2000
    Im looking for a few tips and suggestions.

1. The snare my drummer uses has a very bonky sound to it that when recored sound nothing like any snare ive ever heard in any recording. do i need to loosen the head or somethin or how can i eq this. i have 3 band with sweepable mids on my console and if need be i can use a graphic eq.

2. are stuff is setup in a pretty well sound proffed basement that we deadened with foam. the length of mike cords i have though wont allow me to mix outside of the basement meaning im sitting in the same room as the sound and i can monitor it properly. i was wondering could i use a 100ft snake to get my board up stairs away from the sound with out it killing my tone and or sound quality.

3. does anyone know any good eq settings for clean and distorted ska sound. played through a marchal mg-100 and 4X10 cab. once againsame board is being used and i could spare the other side of my eq for the guitar so thats fifteen extra bands if i need em

thanks alot

Yes, you can use a snake, most studio's that are not hard wired use snakes!

EQ is subjective and can't be set without listening to the room, knowing what mic is being used, what type of player there many variables to give numbers for you to work with, it's all in the ears!

You would get more answers by checking out some recording forums such as.....