1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something about this seems to good to be true.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by azfryguy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I was on Ebay looking at some project basses and stumbled across this.

CUSTOM FRETLESS 4 STRING JAZZ BASS GUITAR & HARD CASE | eBay

I can't find out why this guy is selling it for hardly anything. Than I realised where is the truss rod cover? I would e-mail him about my question but I forgot my password and username. It is probably like an old school Fender where you have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod. So anyone possible know why this bass is going for so little

2. He's not selling it at that price, he's beginning the auction at that price.

It's very likely that there's a reserve on it, too.

3. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    If you look closely you will see a notch at the bottom of the neck - that is where you would insert the adjusting wrench

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Are you serious? You honestly think anyone would sell a bass for $0.99???

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Thats a starting bid ( $.99)!!

6. Hi.

New to auctions?

Good luck ;).

Regards
    Sam

7. Also notice that the neck has an extended fretboard that extends over top of the truss adjustment opening. Probably a warmoth neck.

8. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    The bid is up to $26.00 when I checked it. There is no reserve. My guess is that the seller knows his auction won't go un-noticed. By placing a no reserve - low opening bid, you get more "action" on the auction. By not having a reserve, more people get interested in your auction. It is a roll of the dice on the sellers part but entices more people to get involved. Hell, I'm gonna throw a few bucks on it!

9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Heh.

Wait till you see the Current Bid in the last few minutes of the auction. That is going to shoot up like you won't believe.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It's clear that some here don't understand how ebay works.

A seller sets a starting bid at 99¢. The bids go up from there over a period of 7 to 10 days. This generates bidding interest in the item. So, after 5 days, instead of zero bids, the seller has 26 bids. This is called a "no reserve" auction. A seller gets more interest in an auction that *will* sell than one that has a reserve price on it.

I sell items with a starting bid of 99¢ all the time, and I end up getting top dollar in the end.

11. ....and at the last minute, if it hasn't gone high enough for the seller to make money, his buddy shill bids it up and the seller pays the selling fees and re-lists the item, or declares a non-paying bidder and re-lists the item.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Ebay has that trick figured out. You rarely get away with it.
    I got busted doing it and I had a friend from Ohio doing my bidding. I still don't know how they figured that out.

13. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    For everyone thinking I dont know how Ebay works I am fully aware that you have to bid on items and it is an online auction. I did not see a reserve or anything and thought some TB members would enjoy looking at it maybe bidding on it but I guess not because half of the responses were insulting.

14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    No, not meaning to be insulting and if my post came across that way, sorry.

15. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Dude, insulting is kind of a sport around here. And TB is tame compared to some forums!!! Don't take it personally.

16. GroovePit

GroovePit

Nov 18, 2011
    Neck/body joint is of, pickup/string alignment is of, pass......

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Insulting? Informative, more like.

If you knew how ebay works, you wouldn't have posted this thread. Unless it's your auction.

18. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Interesting.
    I would have thought that would be the way around it, and with no way of getting caught.
    Shows what I know about Ebay.

19. :confused:

I'm sorry, but you're first post was what probably made people think that you were unsure about auctions. You did ask why the bass "is going for so little". That doesn't seem like you understand the nature of the eBay auction.

If you didn't know about the low starting bid, well...now you do.

20. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    if it was my bass i would already put a reserve on it that's what i meant