1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Something Besides A Milkcrate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadMonk, Dec 10, 2006.

1. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    to get my rig off the ground? I have a 210 cab that's 25.5 inches in length and 18.5 inches deep...weighs 60 pounds or so. The amp, etc. (maybe 40 pounds) needs to perch on top of the cab due to space issues...so, the rig must stand upright, not tilt back.

I've seen a few stands but the arms seem kinda shallow in depth (seven inches) to hold a rig almost 19 inches in depth.

Any ideas?

2. Musicians Friend has a folding keyboard stand with adjustable length and width. I think in the item description it says the stand can hold up to 400 pounds. I have been considering getting one for the same reasons you are. If you get one, drop a PM to me and give me your opinion of it. Enjoy.... :D :D

3. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Problem is if you raise the cabinet with a stand you will lose your coupling with the floor, and doing so lose some bottom end. You want to keep your contact area with the floor as large as possible. Something to factor in when deciding.

4. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    You're right, SteveB...but for now loss of coupling is alright and not a big problem for me. Thanks.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Why not build some tilt-back legs?

6. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    If I could tilt it, then I'd probably just wedge it...but tilting isn't an option. Gotta keep it straight up.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, the best option, IMO is to buy another cab to put under it.

8. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    Ah yes! :hyper: That's a great suggestion and really that's the plan somewhere in the future:cool: ...but gotta first pay for this cab and amp. Eventually a 115 will join the club.:bassist:

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    check out the quiklok ws-540. Folds down really small, adjustable height/width/depth.

I've had my eye on one for a while, it seems ideal for a bass amp.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Any reason against the milk crates? They're super light, cheap (or free), pretty much disposable, strong, and can be used to carry stuff back and forth.

Just say "they look like crap" and I'll have to agree with you though :D

11. jja412

jja412 Fine Gear Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Milk crates with some nice black velvet fabric draped over them???

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use an old Anvil cable case. Built like a tank, and when it's not supporting my cab, it carries my ever expanding gig bag.

13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I was looking at the On Stage RS7705 at one point to set my vintage Polytone on. Then my wife showed me the folding step stool she uses to reach the upper shelves in her closet.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14158430

The Polytone sits with ~2.5" overhang on the sides, and less then 1" front to back. A Berg 1x12 rest solidly on it as well with an AI Clarus.
    Now, I sit when I play, so the 9" height works really well for me, bringing the speaker closer to ear level. I'll gig with it for the first time this weekend, and I think it will work better then putting the amp on a chair, which takes up more space.

M.

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 This is what I usually do and is the best solution.

If I know the venue I also sometimes put the combo up on a chair. Works great and nothing to carry :p

15. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Get a keyboard bench. One that you sit on. I use it, and it works fine.

Elevates to about 2 feet.

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you get a road case for you speaker cab you can put the speaker on top of the case.

17. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    How about just adding a socket to it like the one that comes on a PA speaker? Then you can simply mount it on a speaker stand?

18. I found a LOVELY BLACK milk crate- my gig bag fits in it B4 & after too, BUT I DO like the Bathroom stool thingy

19. Two milk-crates?

- Wil

20. For a while I've been thinking of making a box that would have a bunch of purposes:

1. a box to carry general gig stuff like cables etc, but also my power amp and pre amp (Focus SA and PJB bass buddy so they are small enough to fit).
    2. The lid of the box would come off and when flipped over be my pedal board (only a couple of pedals) with the pedals obviously firmly secured.
    3. And obviously... it would be a stand for another cabinet when required (stuff taken out and box turned over).

I was thinking of making it "look" like cabinet with tolex or furry stuff. It'd make transport easy - especially with my mini head setup - as I'd just put it and a cab or two on a hand trolley, bass in other hand and away we go. I figure that I can keep it reasonably shallow but with the same footprint as my 1x12 or 2x10 (not sure which at this stage).

Not sure when I'll get around to it (yet another grand idea!) but I'll be sure to post pics if I do!