Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs that exemplify the tone to die for.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Nov 4, 2004.

1. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    We all have our own definition of that "Holy Grail" of tone. Some have been able to find it, others are still searching. One thing holds true even here on TB... "one man's trash is another man's gold".

So, what's your gold? What song epitomizes the tone you lust after, and what is it about the tone just grabs you?

While there's many for me, if I had to narrow it down to say 3 or 4 of them (in no particular order), I'd choose these (keep in mind they're all very different IMO).

1) Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Guns & Roses version). While I'm not a huge G&R fan, I have to turn the bass up every time I hear it. Duff McKagan's bass just punches me in the gut on this one.

2) Almost everything from Fourplay. Nathan East nails my idea of Hi-Fi sound, not to mention the perfect slap tone.

3) Closer to the Heart (Rush). Actually there are other Rush songs that may be better examples, but this one will do. While it's not quite "My Sound", that classic "Ric" sound is what made me want to pick up the bass in the first place.

4) Flea's slap and fingerstyle tone on Aeroplane... Brings a big smile to my face everytime.

- Frank.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Pretty much any song on Queensryche's "Empire" disc.

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I always thought that Matt Freeman from Rancid had a killer tone.

Also I was a big fan of Dirk Lance's tone in Incubus. Particulalry on the album "Make Yourself."

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Bass break (actually the whole song for that matter) on Head East's "Never Been Any Reason."

That's my tone! Pretty much there with Kern/Stewart and Fender Jazz AM DLX 5.

dcr

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Some great examples so far... but what is about the tone from these songs that do it for you?

7. After thinking long and hard...

For Bass:
    Johnny Taylor's sound on the Neurotic Outsiders' album.

For Guitar:
    Clapton on "All Your Love" from the "Beano" album. Talk about gettin' it right the first time around....

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Day of the Eagle. Big ole fat warm bass sound.

9. Christian McBride's tone on "Ten Mile Jog" from George Duke's Face the Music album -- wicked funk tone.

Paul Jackson's tone on "Skank It" from Herbie Hancock and the Headhunter's album Return of the Headhunters -- great fingerstyle tone.

Alex Al's tone on "This Weekend" from Jimmy Sommers' Lovelife album -- kinda cheesy song, but wicked fat bass tone!

John Patitucci's tone on "Bach Prelude in G Major" from his Heart of the Bass album -- pure bell clear tone.

Chris Wood's tone from "Because Of Her Beauty" from Karl Denson's album The Bridge -- wicked deep punchy tone.

Melvin Gibbs' tone from the whole One Nation Under a Re-Groove album from The Clinton Administration -- ultimate fat nasty P-Bass tone.

10. I really like the tone on Seal's last album, IV. I don't know if it's an ideal tone but pretty close IMO.

11. Entwistle's playing on Behind Blue Eyes. In the intro, you can really hear the subtle qualities of his tone. The P bass is very bassy and slightly percussive, and you can hear them all very well since the bass is high in the mix (with headphones especially) and there's nothing but vocals and clean guitar.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Warm and meaty, but not so meaty that it's muddy.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I love JPJ's thumpy yet growly tone, especially on the live DVD's version of Dazed and Confused. Also, the bassist(s?) for Alice Cooper have/had great tone.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not "my tone" but as far as rock goes, it doesn't get much more rock than Lemmy.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    oh and as far as slap tone goes, I'm sure we all can agree Marcus Miller is about as close to perfect as it gets.

16. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Mmmm.... Meat!

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The bass tone on "I know what I like" and "The Battle of Epping Forest" from Genesis on "Selling England by the Pound".

Not overwhelming but enough of a taste to tease you.

18. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    All the tunes on George Benson's "Breezin" album.

That is the epitome of bass tone to me.