1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

son's 18th birthday, how can i make it cool?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ok all you masterminds of life...

my son's 18th birthday is coming up soon and i'm planning on holding a party for him and his friends at our house, its going to be a young people's party...meaning 18 and younger school friends, so i'm not having any boozing, things are strict over here with under age boozing....

ok so i plan on hiring out some lighting, dance type stuff, and an amp and speaker they can plug there ipods into...also catering can be done by myself and the misses

i'm not sure, what else do you guys think i should do to make it cool?

open to suggestions

Edit: most of his mates are 17, drinking age is 18, if i have beer, the younger ones are bound to be drinking, which is a 5 grand fine for supplying booze to minors

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I don't know in terms of events or entertainment or anything of that sort. But I think it would be cool to have someone put together a playlist with the option of people putting their own music on later. They're gonna want to dance, have a good time, enjoy the music without having to change it all the time, or the annoying group of people who will be song-skipping and iPod changing all the time. Those people are bound to be there.

The other thing I would say is give them a bit of space. I'm not a parenting expert, I'm only speaking from the perspective of a 21 year old who had a lot of fun at that age when the parents didn't have their nose in all the time. Requires trust, but it's worth it.

What's the drinking age in Oz? It's 18 here.

3. So he's turning 18, and from what I can see, that's the drinking age in Victoria. But you aren't going to let him have any drink at the party?

+1 on taking a step back. Take him out for a nice meal earlier in the day or soemthing and then let him and his friends do what they want to do later on (within reason).

4. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I found this strange as well. Not to question your parenting, it's just a birthday that means you finally have the freedom to have a drink, and to learn responsible drinking. Obviously it shouldn't be out of hand, like hard spirits or anything, but I'm sure he'd appreciate you allowing a few beers. If it doesn't happen at your house, it will happen somewhere else.

Once again, not disrespecting your authority as his father.

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Hire a limo and let them go out and drink and have them
    agree to stay with the limo all night.
    Maybe he'll learn to drink responsibly.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

18 is drinking age? You need to get off the stage mister, your slot at this gig is over.

Cut the man loose for his bday. He's all grown up now by your country's standard. If he's still living at home, you can call the rules only about what goes on in your home and how anything he does affects that status.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Well, if there's no drinking, I'm assuming hookers and blow are out of the question. That's a joke.

I think the no drinking thing is a great idea, and there are plenty of ways to have a fun time without it. I have no idea what's cool these days, because I know for a fact I am not. My biggest suggestion is to get some input from him. If you don't want him to know about it, does he have a trusted friend you can talk to? The only people who know what 17-18 year olds think is cool are 17-18 year olds.

They might as well be from another planet, as far as I'm concerned.

8. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    I'm really surprised you haven't got the standard answer. Hookers and blow. Try renting a party bus and have a couple other dads along to supervise. Let them go wherever they want. Have them stay at your house afterwords.

I WAS TOO LATE!

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's sweet of you to want to throw him a party, but if he's a typical 18 year old the best gift you can give him is your absence for a few hours/the night.

10. +1 for hookers & blow! :D

11. OneAri

OneAri

Jan 1, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    This.

Also another vote for hookers and blow :D

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I agree with a lot that has already been said.

Pretty much every birthday party I was going to by that age had very minimal to even no adult supervision. We'd really only see the parents when it was time to cut the cake, but that's neither here nor there.

As for your son's birthday party, do you plan on having it on his actual birthday or maybe a day or two after?

- If it's a day or two after, I'd say take him out to a nice, semi-early dinner, and then hire a limo to take him and his 18 year old buds out to a few bars. Give the limo driver a timeline to be home by, and then have his friends spend the night. I think that would be a pretty sweet birthday.

- If it's the day of, or if too many of his friends are 17, then I'd suggest having everyone over for pizza, cake, and beer. I'd ask your son's friends' parents if they'd mind if they had some beer for your son's 18th. Tell them you'll buy a very specific amount of beer so the kids wouldn't have more than 2-3 beers, and then they could spend the night at your place. Maybe setup a beer pong/flip cup table, too ;)

Maybe it's just in the US, but turning 21 (or 18 in your case) is a pretty big birthday year and most people want to celebrate it by taking advantage of their newly found freedom.

13. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    -1 on the Pat O'Brian

14. +1

18 and 21 are both big dates over here, but there's always something special about that first (legal) beer :bassist:

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    We do not turn to the Scottish for advice on beer.*

*I am from Scottish parents

16. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Call me naive, it's likely fitting. But I didn't think it was legal ANYWHERE to drink at 18!! :bag:

With that said, he is still young. BE A PARENT. And for crissakes, don't serve minors.

17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    TBH i'd suggest doing a 2-stager - an all ages thing (daytime?) and then maybe let him and his friends who you KNOW to be 18 to have a bit of an unsupervised yay-you-can-drink evening. Probably on different days though.

Either way, he'll be drinkin'.

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    It's pretty much compulsory here, never mind legal.

19. drinkingmap.

In the developed world it's mainly the USA that has a problem with people drinking at 18 :p

20. Everyone should, it's not like we have a national problem with alcohol *hic* or anything *hic* :D