Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sony MD Questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lwleaver, Apr 27, 2004.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I bought a Sony MD recorder/player from a TB'er a little while ago and he did not have any software for the device. I was wondering if someone could recommend some software to get music to and from the device. I have read some articles that says certain software wil lnot let you take music from the device. My singer currectly plays the music throught the headphone jack into his soundcard and pulls our shows that way. If I need to then fine, but I was wondering what packages you experienced guys use to do this? Also, what software can you use to transfer MP3 or Wav files to the unit? Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Landon

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The existing Sony software only allows high speed transfers from the computer to the MD, not the other way around (the next generation units, called HiMD will allow transfer in both directions; these units come out next month).

I used the headphone jack to computer audio in method for a while, worked fine.

The Sony software for downloading music to the NetMD units are called either OpenMG Jukebox, Sonic Stage and Simple Burner. All require a Windows PC with a USB 1.1 port (no Mac support).

For more info on NetMD hardware and software (plus link to download Simple Burner): http://minidisc.org/NetMD_faq.html

3. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Brian,

Your info was great. I am going to grab a copy of Simple Burner tonight. Do you know if it includes the driver for the MD for my PC? If not do you know where I can get one? Thanks.

Landon

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think Simple Burner is all you need. If it isn't, email me because I have the factory install CD that would have whatever else you might need. I have a Mac, so can't use it anyway.