1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound Absorbing? What is better ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Aug 3, 2019.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Going to do some sound absorbing in my new Bass Room, Been looking at 2" Acoustic Foam, And Looking at Sound Absorbing Felt about 1/8" or 3/16" thick.
    I intrigued with the felt due to I can purchase it x 72" wide and like $13 bucks or less a per ln yard, I own a die cutting shop and was thinking of adding adhesive backing and die cutting 2 colors Gray and Black in some type of squares say 12 x 12 or 24 x 24
    I ask due do I see many folks using the foam and not heard of anyone using felt as of yet?
    Thoughts?

2. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    just to be sure, what is your goal: isolating the bass from other rooms or removing unneeded sound reflections in the room?
    those are different goals and need different tools.

Paulabass and And I like this.
  3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Aloe is right.
    Moreover, you refer to the room you're considering as your "Bass Room." Not sure what you mean by that, but I'll assume it's "a room where you play basses." Generally, sound treatment for such rooms does not involve panels of foam or other material so much as devising some way to change the shape of the room, e.g., bass traps in corners, or even putting furniture around to control standing waves.

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    As a simplified explanation (ignoring frequency-dependent absorbtion coefficients), the less mass your absortive panels have, the less useful they will be in reducing low frequency (bassy) room reflections.

Those acoustic foam panels you see in musicians' catalogs are most effective in cutting high and middle frequency reflections within a room. With far less mass than even those foam panels, 3/16" felt will do next to nothing to attenuate reflected bass frequencies.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    derrico1 likes this.
  6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yeah, at the risk of smoothing the curve so much that I'm describing a horse as an oval, on the continuum of useful explanations, I was aiming more for simple/clear than precise.

Given the OP's question ("how well will 1/8" felt absorb bass frequencies?"), imma make a judgment call that's close enough.

**Edit (giving it 3 seconds thought instead of just 2): you're right, smoove—TB threads stick around, get zombie resurrection, etc.

Public service announcement for posterity: there's a fair bit more to attenuating low frequencies than mass. But if you're considering going after this shark by treating your room with what's essentially a single layer of tissue paper, you're going to need a bigger boat.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I love this expression and will now be using it in as many social functions as is possible.

Absolutely.

I’d still like to know the answer to what @Aloe posted in post number 2 since the two problems require completely separate solutions. Is this to change the sound of the room, or is it to keep sounds from entering/exiting the room?

And I and derrico1 like this.