Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound just quits

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goalee1, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Goalee1

Goalee1

Jul 1, 2003
    DC/VA
    Well, I've had this happen to me with one of my guitar amps in the past and now my EBS Taurus is doing the same thing. I turn the power on, no problem, play for a few minutes then the sound just cuts off. The amp is on as indicated by the lights and I can just faintly hear the instrument but no actual sound. I turn the amp on and off and the problem is fixed for anywhere from a few minutes to as long as I'm play. Any ideas to what this may be? thanks G1

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Take it to the shop.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    *bump for curiosity*

I too had a similar problem (it occured only once) this summer. During rehersal with my former band , my volume dropped to about 1/4 (if that) of it's power. I tried changing the battery in my bass' pre-amp, switched cables (going from the bass to my amp as well as from the amp to the cabs,) and finally turned the entire rack off and on. Still barely any volume. After leaving rehearsal, I put my gear back in my bedroom and did not play again until the next day. On that day (and every day since then) the amp worked perfectly.

I don't know if you tried any of these steps, Goalee1, but if you did not, just give them a shot. It may point to the source of the problem. I always wondered if it could have been the power being supplied to my amp (i.e. a dip in line voltage.)

Hope this helps.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, take it in to be fixed. Most likely one of the various protection circuits is kicking in when it shouldn't.

5. Goalee1

Goalee1

Jul 1, 2003
    DC/VA
    Yeah,just was hoping it was something not serious as the only EBS repair guy in the US is in FL and I would have to ship the unit. Oh well, I guess after the holiday, I'm a shipping out. G1