1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sound post tool

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by McDave, Jul 7, 2012.

1. McDave

McDave

Jul 7, 2012
    While removing the new bridge for the umpteenth time, I forgot the sound post and it fell. Tried with limited success to jimmy it into position, gave up and made a tool. Used a 12 inch long piece of small (1/4") copper tubing and a thin bicyle derailler cable. See pictures. Worked like a charm, was able to grab it tightly, rotate it and finally release it.

Attached Files:

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Cool!

3. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    brilliant.. removal must be you let the cable slide thru the copper tube and around the soundpost (?)

4. McDave

McDave

Jul 7, 2012
    One end of the derailleur cable has a molded lead button that prevents it from going into the copper tube, and the other end is just plain. When the loop is around the sound post you can pull the free end of the cable to tighten the loop as much as necessary. So once the sound post is firmly in position, just slide the plain end of the cable all the way out through the tube to release the post.

Attached Files:

5. McDave? More like MacGyver!!

:D

6. McDave

McDave

Jul 7, 2012
    That's me! You could do surgery with this tool!

7. Very cool!

This is functionally similar to the automotive "grabber tool" I use to position my post. It grips the post firmly, but the retractable metal claws leave indentations on the post.

8. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    What you have there is a sound post strangulator, like what they use for capturing snakes and alligators.

9. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    That is very cool. I'm going to add one of those to my bag.

10. I guess you could do that with a guitar string if you don't have a bike cable lying around... cool.

11. dbassnut

dbassnut

Apr 1, 2008
    Malaysia
    Your idea's a good one. Now I just need to find a friend who has a bike that's unattended. heheh

This guy used a shoe string & clothes hanger.

I like the idea of using both ends of the shoe string to help position the sound post. :)

12. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    you could always use an exacto blade mounted on a chopstick assisted by jedi mind powers.