Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundboard into Minidisc

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Hi everyone, I was hoping for some help with a couple questions.

First, I am looking to record from a soundboard into a minidisc recorder. I was told that I need a Dual XLR Female to 3.5mm (1/8") stereo miniplug cable in order to connect the two. My first question is whether or not this is correct, and my second question is where can I find one of these (I am hoping to use it on Wednesday so online ordering isn't an option?)

Any help at all is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Radio shack, if they don't have the exact match- they sell soldering irons too. ;)
    You could also go from a headphone out of the board, which would be male TRS 1/4" to male TRS (stereo) 1/8", the shack has got to have one of those.

3. Thanks for the quick reply, I have another question now.

Will there be a noticable sound quality difference between using the XLR vs the Headphone jack?

4. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    The biggest loss will be at the contacts on the 1/8" jack... not the heaphone jack. Using the XLR jacks will only mean that you are sending a nice balanced output to a relatively cheap unbalanced input jack.

Switching to the headphone jack will also give you another level control; you can adjust the signal level that you are sending to the minidisc, without touching the Main levels. You would need a stereo 1/4" to stereo 1/8" cable for that, and those are pretty easy to find.

Another alternative is to route the "TAPE" outs (if your mixer has them... most do) to the minidisc. If 1/8" jack on the minidisc is a "line level" input, then this would actually be the best choice. Typically, you would need a Y cable that has two RCA plugs and one 1/8" stereo plug... which is fairly easy to find.