Soundpost coming through...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mattwells, Sep 15, 2004.

1. mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    Is there a way to repair a laminated bass if the soundpost is poking its way through? It has caused a little bump and a little (very little) cracking in the wood. What can be done?
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm no luthier, but since no one else has said it...I will....

"That's not good"!

I would think (in my uneducated and unqualified opinion) that you need to know if that damage was the result of a blow or just too much pressure from inside. A soundpost shortening might be in order, and a couple of those round patches for the inside of the top.
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds like $$$. Any cracking of wood of any sort sounds bad to me. Better get it checked out.
  4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    And as soon as possible, take your bass to the doctor before he gets worst.... bass health and people health work the same way money talking, small $ for a small disease , big $ for a big disease. good luck

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Sometimes a small soundpost patch can be fitted to the underside of the top and installed through the f-hole. It's tricky and somewhat temporary, but it will keep any further damage from occuring. But the permanent fix involves removing the top, pressing the area back into shape, chalk-fitting a patch and glueing it on the inside. It's time-consuming, somewhat difficult, and expensive. Most basses develop the problem you described from getting whacked in the back. The shock travels through the soundpost and out the top...
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I today discovered a soundpost crack in the front of my bass...
  7. Sorry Z, where? how long? :crying:
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

About 6 " right between the foot and the ff.
  9. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    That's not a soundpost crack.
  10. That's right, if it is where you say it is. Can it be fixed from the ff hole?
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

o.k. I guess I need a soundpost adjustment too.. So is this better than a soundpost crack ?
  12. Yeah, because your sound post won't (hopefully) be sitting on the crack. :)