Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soundpost position

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by markoxlong, Jun 2, 2005.

1. markoxlong

markoxlong

Feb 19, 2004
    England
    Hi, I had my soundpost re-set about 3 months ago, I've just noticed its positioned above the bridge. I always thought the post should be below the bridge foot? Was my luthier a bit hungover when he fitted it or is this a normal thing to do?

:help:

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    get it fixed immediately! The soundpost should be about 1/2 inch below the bridge foot. The exact position will be determined by a qualified luthier.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    um, how does it sound?

4. markoxlong

markoxlong

Feb 19, 2004
    England
    sounds good to me, it's been like that for a few months and hasn't caused any damage i can see.

If it's going to damage my bass then i'll get it moved, if not i guess it can stay where it is.

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    well it doesn't sound right, but but it is just possible that your luthier put it there on purpose.

I guess if it can go directly under the soundpost, behind it, or toward the f hole a bit - all the usual possibilities - there's no reason why it might not work in front for your bass. I'd ask him. So does it sound better or worse than before it was reset 3 months ago?

6. Is the top of your bass carved or laminated? Either way, this is not a good thing, but in the case of a carved top, it can be serious trouble...a crack could be the result of this. If this guy dosen't know where to put the sound post, there's always the possibility of the SP being forced in.
    Good luck....

7. markoxlong

markoxlong

Feb 19, 2004
    England
    Err not sure, It's hard for me to compare that far back and I've put a new set of strings on since then :meh:

It's a fully carved bass. I think I better take it to the shop pronto and get it moved to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone for the info x

8. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I would definitely not take it back to the same guy that set it up before

9. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Before we blame the luthier who set the post...have you loosened the strings in the interim where the post might have slipped? Did he suggest a new post because it was too short, but you didn't want to spend the bread?
    Anyway, it does need to be moved back behind the foot of the bridge, back meaning the tailpiece side.
    If it is very poorly fitted which seems to be the assumption you really need to get a new post fitted since this one
    is going to damage the top either a little or a lot.
    The post should fit both the top and back very nicely, not too tight and not too loose. I usually start with the post centered
    on the G foot and about half the diameter of the post behind the foot, straight up and down as seen through the f-holes and the endpin hole. You won't be able to check through the endpin hole 'cause it requires taking the bridge down and removing the endpin, if the post is too short it'll fall.

10. markoxlong

markoxlong

Feb 19, 2004
    England
    yes, I've already mentioned I changed the strings after the post was set.

Do you thing the post would move above the bridge and still stay upright?

The soundpost looks like its straight upright to me, I can't imagine it moved an inch or two while still staying so straight but I'm no expert on setup, I just try make nice sounds from the thing :)

No he never mentioned it and I have enough bread thank you. :meh:

The main reason I posted this here was my soundpost looks like its set ok ( not at a funny angle, no gaps etc. ) but it's above the bridge and I've only ever heard of soundposts being set below the bridge.

Thanks for the info Martin, I'm not shooting my luthier down, he's a nice guy and I'm sure he knows a whole lot more about bass setup than me. I just didn't want to go back to him ranting about a poor setup if it's the norm to put the post above the bridge.

I best not answer the door for a few days incase of angry luthiers trying to burn my house down :bag:

11. Man...do it now. Don't sit around listening to all this.
    Don't leave it where it is.

12. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Take it back to him and show him where it is. He should be happy to readjust it for you at no charge. If he thinks it is in the right place take it somewhere else, he doesn't know what he doing. And don't let him tell you it a new theory based on the latest scientific data.
    Sorry I didn't read you post more thoroughly.
    I've seen posts shift pretty far from position, but it has to be either too loose or the bass got banged pretty good.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If he set it ABOVE the Bridge, have him re-set it Below the bridge under the G foot about one post thickness below..Do This Fast.. Yesterday if possible before your Bass top is Damaged forever.. Then.. NEVER go back there again!!

If one of the guys I go to did that, I would assume he was Drunk or on Drugs........ No other excuse is possible unless he's a mad scientist and wants to re-invent the wheel.

14. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    How about simple ignorance? As in: "luthier" (probably "apprentice") does not know proper placement. Surprising, but in a world of guitar techs certainly within the realm of possibility.

How about a kind of dyslexia? As in: "lu-prentice" confuses up with down. He wouldn't be the first. Even though the confusion seems ridiculous to anyone half-way experienced, the terms "above the bridge" and "below the bridge" aren't 100% unambiguous. Speaking of that particular confusion, I'm surprised nobody's checked on that yet: when you say that the soundpost is above the bridge, markoxlong, you mean that the soundpost is on the fingerboard side of the bridge and not the tailpiece side?

If the post was beautifully fit but on the wrong side and the tech is upfront about his ignorance that's not so bad. Maybe you can get a discount out of him as payment for his lesson. OTH, if his work sucks and he's got an attitude about his ignorance then it's time to fire his butt.

15. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I had meant to mention dyslexia also. It's not beyond possibility . I had a woman apprentice once who was dyslexic, and it could be pretty humorous sometimes. She was a violist and when she needed directions I'd say something like, "take a viola arm out of the driveway and make a bow arm at the first light"! She never got lost that way.
    Anyway get thee "post" haste to thy luthier and get it done right. Post side being the tailpiece side of the bridge.