soundpost ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by classicalband, Aug 20, 2005.

1. classicalband

Feb 18, 2005
    hey gang,

Does the diameter of the soundpost affect the sound at all.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Everything about the soundpost affects the sound. Or so I'm told.
  3. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    The diameter of the post is a factor in the sound of the instrument, also for structural integrity the post should be somewhat proportionate to the instruments size. In a typical 3/4 I look for a 17.5mm give or take. For a larger bodied bass like the Hawkes we use a 18.5mm post, it just sounds better and offers the additional support I feel the larger top may need. This same methodology is typical with a Montagnana cello, bigger cello bigger soundpost..... Some instruments react more to this type of adjustment than others.

The soundpost gives/acts as a still or nodal point on the top, it's position and size would directly effect the contribution of this "dead" spot and how much the top is or is not responding at the given frequencies.

Again, this is just a piece of the puzzle when finding a sound, don't expect a 1mm difference to change the world. Most soundposts are poorly fitted and are not working right, I would advise first to worry about position and fit than diameter.

AND....CB why do you ask? :eyebrow:
  4. classicalband

Feb 18, 2005

thanks for the reply.

the reason is that i have a viennese 5 stringer set up for classical period performance. it is very small. (41ish inch str length, small body, typical of a posch) i am going to be be doing some experiments with the sound. i am getting a new post cut ( and yes i have moved the post) and was just looking for any opinions. as well as a new post i am clipping a fair bit of wood off the bridge. i have done this on my modern bass with very good results.

thanks for the advice.