1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Source Audio Manta Envelope Filter- Old School Funk vs. Dub & Progressive Sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fdr1031, Jun 1, 2018.

1. fdr1031

fdr1031

Feb 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I've been looking at getting an envelope filter (looking at the Manta and the MXR) and am intrigued by all the different sounds you can cover with the Source Audio Manta Filter - except - after viewing most every Youtube video - I cannot find a sample that comes close to the old school, warm, funky sound as in .18 seconds into this video:

most every sound I've heard are not the bread & butter tone I'm looking for, even though I like the fact this pedal covers a lot of ground. Does anyone have any clips of the Manta that can cover this mellow, warm, old school sound other than telling me to just get the Solidgoldfx pedal (which is actually good advice)?

Bassist30 likes this.
  2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I find 3 leaf Proton to be a little more old school.

BurningSkies and fdr1031 like this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It can get close, but not quite there. I've not tried the Funk Lite yet, but either it has a bit of mild drive built in, or that clip was recorded with the filter going into a slightly overdriven amp. The Mr Black Fwonkbeta is similar. It all adds to the 'greasiness' of the filter.

Now the Manta has a distortion engine in it too, but it is placed before the filter. That's what you want for synth tones, but for that old school sound you just want a very subtle drive after the filter, in my opinion. However if you have another pedal like a VT Bass or something that your can place after the Manta, that would help it sound less sterile!

fdr1031 likes this.
  4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I have a BEF Pro and find the tone works, but the response is not super touch sensitive (it seemed to always open the same amount). I use an exp to alter the sweep width to compensate and it works great.

fdr1031 likes this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    BTW I ordered a Funk Lite earlier. I’d been meaning to for quite a while, one of the few filters I haven’t tried and I really like the demos!

fdr1031 and Bo0tsy like this.
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Funk Lite arrived! :D

It's going straight back! :bored:

It is faulty as it passes no signal in bypass... but I also cannot get a good sound out of this thing. After several minutes of fiddling I managed to get an up sweep that sounded vaguely like a regular envelope filter but it was a struggle and not a sound I would use. I can only assume it also has a fault elsewhere, as the demo sounds great and I've read comments from other happy users - but I'm not going to the hassle of getting a replacement sent, I am opting straight for a refund.

fdr1031 likes this.
  7. May I suggest EBS BassIQ? It doesn't have the bell and whistles of Manta, but works well for me. Simple enough to dial that "bwonk"

fdr1031, Bassist30 and FilterFunk like this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    IIRC, the Proton is a 'boutique' take on the classic mutron circuit. I have a v1, and indeed that's what it sounded like to me as well. I have a friend with a Manta and he's had a hard time bonding with it. I'd suggest also looking at my newest 'favorite' the Broughton JoshWah. Lots of sounds in that box and really usable and easy.

fdr1031 and Bassist30 like this.
  9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle

fdr1031 likes this.
  10. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I actually got the IQ black label before it was the True Bypass version. It really is nice... So is their Octave.. Together they can really sound like a good synth.

fdr1031 likes this.
  11. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I've owned the Manta and MXR. Both are very different. The Manta sounds excellent, but isn't as user friendly as I hoped. The MXR has a lot of useful settings, but nothing gets too crazy, which I tend to like. In relation to the Manta, I had a Boss SYB-3 and thought it was a great cheaper alternative.

FilterFunk and fdr1031 like this.
  12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The envelope filter on the SYB-3 is a real sleeper. It sounds really good.

fdr1031 likes this.
  13. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    As I stated earlier I also have the EBS IQ and really like it. As of recent I have been using the proton.... That is even more old school to me anyway. But you can't go wrong with the EBS stuff and kind of surprised its not as popular as it should. Their DPhaser is really one of the better phasers out and not knocking the Chorus either. The Chorus is really sweet.

fdr1031 likes this.