1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Source for Steinberger headless bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Sep 27, 2008.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'm looking for a Steinberger style headless 4-string bridge with narrowish (around 2") string spacing. I'm not looking for ETS bridges (too wide spacing), ABM bridges (too wide spacing) or ABM individual bridges (I have them in case I don't find Steiny bridge). I found out that Ed Roman has Steinberger bridges but... well, it's Ed Roman so no replies to my emails.
    Marko

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Thanks for the tips, but that eBay-bridge has too wide spacing and musicYo has only 5-string bridges.
    Marko

4. chris_nairn

chris_nairn

Feb 14, 2007
    If you join the steinberger world forum on yahoo groups, there is discussion of a manufacturer in S. Korea who is making replacement bridges for the guitars. The bass bridge is apparently in the works or may be ready by now. I think the company is called Headless Research but I just tried to find their site and couldn't. Anyway, they sell through ebay and some of the people on the yahoo group have given good reports on the quality of the guitar bridge. I hope that helps a little.

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
  6. They have single headless bridges. I imagine you can get fairly tight spacing.

7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I have ABM (Status) single bridges. I'm looking for Steinberger bridge. Thanks for the link on Steinbergerworld. I'm looking there. I called Ed Roman today. They have four string bridges for around $225 but shipping to Finland is ..... $200! I don't know where they found that price but there's no way I'm going to pay that money for shipping!
    Marko

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Join the Steinbergerworld forum. It's quite active with very knowledgeable folks... many of whom have sizable inventories of parts and such which they are often willing to sell. I'd say it's your best source.

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think they are buying Ed a plane ticket! They are probably using UPS or something.

You should find someone in the States that can mail it to you via USPS.

10. Try allparts.com ...they already have the new ABM headless system in stock and it looks incredibly cool!

11. Do ABM ship direct? As theyre only in Germany this would be handy for those of us in Europe...

12. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Yes they do ship directly. I bought the individual bridges from Gitarrendesignshop. They had a bit cheaper prices than ABM.
    Marko