Speaker Assembly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sheepdip, Apr 14, 2004.

1. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I guess this is as good a place as any.

After looking over the avaliable speaker systems I decided to build my own. To that end I have a JBL 2245H and two D-140F's. I am putting them into two seperate cabinets and am wondering if I should put a bullet tweeter in with the D-140F's. I am going to drive them with a SVT CL. Any thoughts? :hyper: :help:
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Since you're building the cabs yourself, I'd just design the cabinet so that there is enough space on the front to accomodate a tweeter. Try it without it first; if you want more high end, you can add the tweeter later. No sense in spending the money on the tweeter and crossover if you're not sure you want it.

The speakers you're using are really more suited to a bi-amp rig; that 2245 is going to want quite a bit of wattage all by itself. But no harm in giving them a try with your SVT.
  3. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    :confused: Darn, now I'm starting to wonder if I haven't bitten off more that I want to chew. You'r correct about the 2245H, it's going to want some power. I wonder if I wouldn't be better off with a horn and the D140F's in one package? Then again maybe I should just chuck the whole idea and get a 8x10 from Ampeg. Buying another amp isn't a fun idea at this stage and putting all that effort into two cabinets just to find out I don't have enough power isn't my idea of R and D. :help: :help:
  4. The JBL 075 and 077 and great tweeters, from 7,000 and 9,000 Hz, respectively. Used below that, you will blow them to smithereens. You will need a good crossover to prevent this.

If you need a good tweeter, the Eminence APT:200 is real nice from 3500 and up.

IMO, you should be doing a lot more asking before cutting and gluing.

5. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    Those JBL tweeters are good but 7K and 9Khz is pretty far up there for a bass speaker system. I think that if I used the two 15's and utilized a tweeter a bit lower in freq and crossed them at around 4K I would have something pretty decent. I just don't want to end up with 600lbs of speaker cabs and amps to lug around. One cab would be fine if I think it out carefully. Even if I don't end up using the jbl 2245 it's not like I'm going to be out the money, it's newly re-coned and I can sell if for what I have in it. decisions, decisions. :confused: