1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker cable

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    question. I lost one of the 3' speakon cables I use to run my two Wizzy 12Ms. I have one 3' and one 9' now. Is it a big deal if the cable lengths don't match?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    No, not at all.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Only with OCD, in alphabetical order CDO.

4. tstone

tstone

Nov 16, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    You'll get a delay effect: the sound from the speaker with the longer cable will be late by about 3.054741 nanoseconds.

5. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    You mean you can't hear that? ;)

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Cool. I just know in my audiophile/studio engineer days we were anal about making sure speaker cables were the same length. I've done the unmatched cables with my rig before and I can't really tell but I thought the resident electrical/audio geeks might know something I don't. Thanks y'all.

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Luckily no OCD here though I like to mess with people that have it. I'm an a$$%*#$. I know.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    445834..... See the pattern? Gonna go weigh my coffee beans and water now.:help:

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Very long speaker cable runs can introduce some ill effects and, especially in the audiophile world, those effects have been and are, IMO, overblown. For example, if you run 14-gauge wire over, say, 50 feet, the very small increase in resistance may produce small frequency response changes when considering the entire complex impedance of the speaker/wire combination. Such runs can even alter damping factor by a rat's ***. A very small amount of amplifier power would be lost to heat as well. Thus, the advice to keep speaker runs as short as possible and to decrease numeric wire gauge (increase diameter) for longer runs. All of this also became the excuse for folks to spend gobs of money on esoteric speaker cable. Talk about questionable business ethics... oops, that's another thread. :) Uneven lengths of long runs would, theoretically, cause one speaker cab to have a slightly different response than another. Slightly.

For the frequencies relevant to amplification of the bass and for a 3' vs. a 9' run, what does this mean? "Nothing, absolutely nothing, say it again... yea" :)

Ooh-- a new idea for the cable hawkers! Speaker cables with lengths matched to within 0.0025". :D

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nope. I think I'll practice and take a nap. ;)

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    So it is the CDO thing. Thanks Les.

12. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    You can sleep very comfortably, Marc.