Speaker Cabs are not cutting it with new GK MB500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by briandavismurph, Mar 25, 2018.

1. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    So I have a dilemma of sorts, New GK MB 500 is highlighting flaws in my speaker cabinets.
    Previous heads, Musicman 120B and Ashdown MiBass 2.0 sounded OK but lacked power for some of the new efforts I am supporting.

I tested my new GK at GC with Mark Bass 4-10 and it sounded awesome
    Here's my current stable:
    1] 35 year old Bag End single 15 oiled birch[i am original owner] with Bag End brand speaker... it's sounds just Ok but does sound tired. Do speakers just tire out? Bag End company is in my home town, thinking about taking it in there for suggestions. Wondering if a new modern driver will make it shine again, Cabinet is in good shape otherwise.
    2] Newer Hartke Neo HD 112 recently bought from TB'er, Sounded OK with the old heads but now with GK shows annoying resonance with certain [Not All] lower notes [low B and down]. Unbearable as it currently is.
    3 Harke 210 Transporter, sounded just OK with the previous heads but again having trouble with clarity on low notes. Obviously not a top tier cabinet, no love lost for this one.

Thinking about getting new driver for Bag End and maybe the Hartke's [both] or maybe just dump the Hartkes and getting something portable like a good 210 or Epiphani Ultra Light 2-12 thats up for sale locally. I mostly play smaller venues but occasionally louder outdoor gigs so need some flexibility for the 500 watts I now have at hand. I'd like it to be an easy carry [i am 63 years young]. Like to keep it in the $500 range if possible. Thoughts and idea's welcomed.

2. Changing speakers in a bass cab usually doesn't work out to well.
    Bass speakers and the cabs they come in are designed to work together as a system.
    You'll need to do some homework, or have someone else do it for you, to determine if your cab will be a good fit for any of the new replacement drivers.

Have you considered any GK cabs to go with your amp?

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    That's a LOT of power for an older cab - especially a single driver. That UL-212 is like 60 lbs :wideyed:. Do yourself a favor and get two UL-112's or a true lightweight cab like this one at 35 lbs:
    RS212 Bass Cabinet | RevSound

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Turn down the bass knob to about 9 o'clock and adjust the low mid knob.

5. FWIW, I have a GK MB Fusion 800 and it sounds great with a GK Neo 410 cab (67 lbs).