1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker gasket

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbum, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I have a Fender Bassman 400 combo amp and I had to replace
    one of the speakers. The standard paper 1/4" thick gasket is too thick to allow installation of the speaker. Is there a 10" speaker gasket available that is thinner than 1/4" or will I have to make my own.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If it has multiple speakers and you're only replacing 1 of them, it has to be the same speaker as the others.

What doesn't fit. Front gasket when it's rear loaded or something?

3. The speaker is front mounted and so the gasket goes on the back. There is a small cut-out on the side trim of the front panel that the edge of the speaker has to slide under. With the 1/4" gasket on the back, it makes the speaker too thick to fit under the cut-out.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can take a razor blade or steak knife or something and slice the front gasket down even with the metal speaker frame. Won't hurt anything. It seals with the rear gasket.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It should have a soft, weatherstripping sort of rear gasket that will compress when you tighten the speaker down. Don't put the hard gasket like is on the front back there.

6. Already did that. I have the front gasket shaved level with the lip on the basket and it still won't fit.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Is the replacement from fender? Odd that it wouldn't fit

8. the replacement is an Eminence. I think that was the original speaker. The speaker I got had no back gasket on it so I ordered one from Speakerworks. The only other one they have is either cork or foam. I'm thinking the foam might work.

9. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    you really don't need a speaker gasket if you tighten the mounting screws in the right pattern and to the right torque.. as not to flex the speaker frame.. if the cab is ported, it's less of an issue.. if it's sealed, it *might* make some difference at very high volumes..

i'd fit the speaker in the hole, then tighten the screws down in a criss-cross pattern until finger tight.. then 3/4 tightening turn on each screw in the same criss-cross pattern..

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If the baffle is carpet or tolex, that will act as a gasket, don't need one on the back of the speaker then.

I would want a gasket on bare wood, or a duratex type finish, etc. You can make one out of thin weatherstripping, piece of bicycle innertube, felt or other thick cloth, or just run a little bead of caulk around there that will squeeze out and fill the crack. Don't really need to order a special gasket if you don't want.

11. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Even a piece of quality, heavy duty cardboard would work. What I mean is, some China stuff I've gotten shipped was in crappy feeling cardboard. Use some stiff stuff that has some solid corrugations in it.