Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgsbass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    After 13+ years of good service, one of the tens in my Goliath III jr. died on the job, New Years eve. Its one of the older, original, back ported cabs. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for it? Anyone tried mixing and matching in a 2 ten cabinet with good results?
    I had to work New Years day and since it was a small band, I used the now 1x10 cab and it worked but I could hear a scoop that wasn't there before around the D string and going up. Even with that, someone came up and complemented the bass sound. Go figure.

2. I wouldn't advise experimenting with mixing speakers. You could love or hate the sound so it could prove to be costly.
    I just had four Goliath 10s reconed by Speaker Services in Memphis (901-725-9620) for $75 + shipping each. I highly reccomend them as it is a small company with lots of experience and highly regarded in this region. Or do a Google search for other reconers in your area.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The only problem with reconing is that you have to be sure the recone is done with the same cone/voice coil as the origional driver or the sound won't be the same. In some cases that's easy, in some not so. If your reconer cannot do the recone with an OEM kit or the equivalent then you need to have all the drivers redone so they'll be the same. In this case where one blew it's a safe bet the other will soon, so doing both is a good idea anyway.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    So
    I opened up the cabinet to check on the damage and found that the speaker cone is frozen in position. It will not move fowards or backwards. Did I melt the voice coil? Can it still be reconed? In 40 years of playing I've never seen a speaker end up like this.

5. Yes, you fried the coil. So you need te replace the whole driver.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    You might also try and confirm why this coil melted. Did it run beyond its usuable life? Or were you slowly damaging it over the years? Or did you run your amp to hot when it blew? Which I think is something worth looking at. On the other hand 1 voice coil every 13 years is pretty good going.

7. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    There were a number of contributing factors: too much wattage, age and a bass synth wah pedal come to mind right away.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Well iits always good to be wary of these kind of things for the future

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not necessarily, the voice coil is replaced in a recone. However, if the polepiece or magnet structure is damaged a new driver will be required.