1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker replacement for Fender Rumble 30.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrRoebuck, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DrRoebuck

DrRoebuck

Apr 2, 2013
    Howdy ...

I guess the thread title spells it out.

I have a Fender Rumble 30 and I've blown the speaker. Not by loud play, I don't think, but by being careless with plugging/unplugging the bass while the amp was on. Maybe. Who knows. Doesn't matter.

I found this thread here and looked into Eminence speakers. I ordered the Legend BP102. I installed it today and it didn't work. It really didn't produce much sound at all except some weird distortion.

I double-checked the specs of the BP102 and it's listed as 8 OHMS, just like the Rumble 30.

Did I just get a bad copy, or am I missing something in the specs? (Obviously I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff.)

2. It may have been damaged in shipping. If it did not come double boxed it is easily damaged as the box they come in are meant for pallet shipping and must be double boxed.

3. You did not over tighten the mounting screws?

4. DrRoebuck

DrRoebuck

Apr 2, 2013
    Hmm. That's possible. It came double boxed but it was in a huge box. They had air packets, but that doesn't do too much good if the speaker is on the bottom of the box and only has cushioning on one side. And I'm pretty sure that's how it came. I don't see any visible damage, but who knows ...

I don't think so. The cabinet uses these brackets for tightening the mounting screws that seem pretty precarious, so I was cautious about when I tightened them. I got them just a bit snug and left it at that. And I've now taken the original driver out a couple times and used the same pressure, and nothing's been wrong when the original driver is in.

5. If you push gently and evenly with your fingers does the cone move easily and smoothly?

6. DrRoebuck

DrRoebuck

Apr 2, 2013
    No, actually, it hardly moves at all.

I noticed that when I was installing it, compared to the original driver, and thought it was because of higher quality. Heh.

7. Unfortunately it sounds like you got a bad one... the cone should move smoothly and silently with very little pressure applied to it. Call the retailer and arrange for return shipping.

8. YEP it is damaged! Send it back for a replacement.

9. DrRoebuck

DrRoebuck

Apr 2, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks SO MUCH for helping me figure this out (and not making me feel like an idiot in the process).

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. You got a bad one. That is a great speaker. I just put 4 of them in a vintage Ampeg 4-10. Oh my. Low mid nirvana.

11. No one is born knowing this stuff :) :cool:

12. DrRoebuck

DrRoebuck

Apr 2, 2013
    Update: Got the replacement Eminence driver today and just installed it. It sounds ****ing phenomenal.

Thanks again for the help.