1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker sizes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ferdugan, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Ferdugan

Ferdugan

Jun 30, 2012
    Hey guys! I will be looking into purchasing a new rig soon. I play metal, and I need something that can cut through two deafening guitars and machinegun bass drums. I always see metal bassists rocking the classic ampeg 8X10 cab.

I just want to know what everyones opinions are on various speaker sizes. Right now I use a 2X15 cab. So what are the ups and downs of 10, 12, 15, and rarely but sometimes 18 inch speakers?

2. LouieV2

LouieV2 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Boston, MA
    As someone who used to play in a metal band with two 150w tube guitar stacks and a Drummer who only had one volume, (maximum) I promise you a wall of 10's is your best friend.

Ive tried a few dif cabs in metal context, but I find that a nice 4x10 (or 6x10/8x10) will not only cut through better than a 1x15, 2x15, 2x12 (etc.) But will also sound more full and can handle more power due to the fact that you've got more speakers.
    My 1x15 was never loud enough with that band. I always had to crank it to the point of distortion and everyone else still overpowered me. My 4x10 was much louder, clearer, more forward in the mix.. I think this had to do more with the fact that it could handle more power generally.

If it helps, im using an ampeg svt410hlf. Hope this helps!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Speaker size is by and large irrelevant. A good cab is a good cab and a bad cab is a bad cab. Heard examples of both good and bad in cabs with speakers of all different sizes. If speaker size mattered, then all speakers of a given size would sound alike.

4. If you’re already pushing a good 215 and need more checkout Chammy’s Marshall VBA 400 with 2 VBC 412 cabs thread. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/svt-killer-890278/ \m/

5. Ferdugan

Ferdugan

Jun 30, 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys, it helps alot. Joe, that Marshall stack looks reeealll nice! A little pricey, though.

While I'm here let me ask this: Can you go both ways, like get a 1X15, and set a 4X10 cab on top? I think I've heard that is a bad thing to do before.

6. Oh no! Ferdugan you jist asked the most debated question on TB.

7. Sure you can. I've seen MANY players with that exact set up. I've seen reggae players, jazz players, metal players, and everything in between sound good with tons of different combinations.
    If it sounds good you can play it. There is no "magical" or "evil" combination of speakers. Also, despite what many guys say, many more will say that mixing cabs and mixing brands will not immediately open the earth and drop you straight to purgatory.
    There's alot of hype out there causing people to fret unnecessarily and to spend way more money than necessary....

8. If you're sneaky you can stack your cabs singly and convince the gui****s to put their speakers on top of them. Their speakers are at their ear height and your sound is rolling off the floor/stage to the audience. Guitar guys think they are playing loud, and the audience feels your bass. It can help keep a little bit of volume war in check...

9. Depending on the specifics of your current head and 2x15 box, a simple change in EQ settings could get it to "cut" better. Of course, you can't really go wrong witha GOOD 8x10 either. Still alot of it comes down to EQ settings, room/venue acoustics, etc.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    +1

It's said so much that the following I will say will be so cliché:

Mids are your friend, and in metal maybe more so low-mids. And maybe roll of your bass and treble a little... experiment on this.

11. Well, there are a few other hot topics too but this one sure ranks up there and may be #1. ;)

OP - use the search for mixing cabs and etc - and if that doesn’t give you a headache nothing will. :D

12. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    If you like the sound, no one's stopping you, but in general, a mixed-cabs setup has a bunch of cons that a paired-cab setup doesn't. A mixed setup is less efficient power and volume-wise, is more likely to damage your speakers, and can introduce a bunch of issues with phasing.

Only you can decide whether the sound of that rig is worth the additional problems. If it is, more power to you. If you are starting from scratch, I'd recommend finding a cab you like, and then doubling it. Also, don't fall into the trap of believingthat a 15 will always give you more low end, and a 410 more highs, etc. Speaker size by itself has very little to do with tone.

13. Just 'cos it's popular doesn't make it right. For me the bad part of the pairing is that before the 4x10 really gets moving the 1x15 is past its limits. Thus blown driver.

14. This is not good advice Gary. Splitting a low frequency source across the stage leasts to all sorts of reinforcement and cancellations out in the room. Too loud in one area and inaudible in another. I did this myself at one time.