1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speakon connectors

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dar512, Jan 26, 2008.

1. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Is there any audible difference between speaker cable with speakon connectors and those with 1/4" phone plugs?

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    No. They make a very secure connection, though.

3. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    This topic was argued about to death in the bass forum part of this site. Everyone's conclusion was that no, there is absolutely no audible difference. It's just that speakons are able to handle way more power (but I'm talking about upwards of 1000 watts). People have been using only 1/4 for years and years without any problems. There technically is more surface area for the connection of a speakon as opposed to a 1/4, it shouldn't make an audible difference.
    Most people prefer speakons because there's no chance that they'll get tripped on, come out, and blow your speaker or ruin your equipment some way like the disconnection of a 1/4 inch would.

4. Yes. The sound created by plugging them into the cab is a little different. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

5. nig

nig

Oct 18, 2006
    south east u.k
    Hmmmm, doubtful, have you looked at the build quality of speakon connectors,crap, a good 1/4 jack is well ok, gold plated phono's on my hifi and banana plugs on the speakers, the locking system on speakons also is a bit hit or miss when they wear or some plumb tries to unplug them by pulling, sorry not for me.:eyebrow:

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    As long as they both make secure connections, there will be no audible difference. By design, however, the Speakons are likely to develop far less trouble.

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Oct 10, 2006
    Seattle
    I was at a show on Saturday and there speakers were cutting out I noticed they had use microphone cables to connect there speakers to there amps, another reason to use Speakons there is to many people who dont know what there doing.

8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    + 1. There are lots of musicians who have no capacity to understand the difference between a shielded audio cable and a piece of lamp cord with 1/4" jacks on the ends (Let's not get into singers and balanced/unbalanced microphone cables). Speakons solve this problem. However, most power amps I see still have 1/4" outs. What are we going to do? Institute a mass government recall? Force everyone to turn in their unsafe and obsolete gear? I personally hate Speakons. I agree with the theory, but I don't like the government telling me what to do, which is exactly what is going on here. At least in Europe, new PA speakers have only Speakon jacks. When you show up for a Casual and the leaders are not tech-savvy, this quadruples the chances of a needed cable being absent. Screws up the sound check, and maybe the gig too!
    Robobass

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021