Speakon wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnm0187, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Ok. I have a QSC RMX 1450 and I will be bridging the amp, so I need +2/+1 wired speakon cables. I got 2 speakon-> 1/4" when I bought the amp, but obviously I won't be using both. I'm almost positive they are both +1/-1, but I'm just making a guess. I did a search and a bunch of posts say something like "to rewire it all you need is an allen key. It's pretty easy." Well how in the hell do you reqire all this? So my 2 real questions are:

1) How can you tell what the speakon is wired to?

2)How do you go by rewiring the speakon? (I need easy to read steps here, I'm not good with electronics or reading)

2. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
  3. No offense, but I don't understand that at all. It seems they are just showing how to put it together. I don't really understand all the +2,+1 crap either, so I'd really like if someone just explained this like they would to a 5 year old (I'm really not 5 years old). All the electronic stuff messes with my mind. I suck.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    There are a number of different Speakon connectors...the number of contacts is shown in the model number.

The amp will have 4 conductor jacks. Neutrik makes a 2 conductor version (same size) of both the jack and plug...

The contact numbers are molded into the plastic insulator that surrounds the wiring terminals. The four terminal plug will have terminals identified as 1+, 1-, 2+ and 2-. They're just names but you have to connect to the correct ones to get the desired result...

The easiest way to find out how your cables are wired is to make sure that the amp is set up for stereo operation, plug one into the speaker jack for channel 2 or your amp, plug the other end in your cabinet, plug your preamp into channel 2's input and try it out. I chose Channel 2 because QSC only connects 1+ and 1- on that one. If you get sound out of your cabinet, the speakon is wired 1+ and 1-, if you don't, it's something else.

Shut off the power amp and swap out speaker cables. Turn on the amp and try it again...

If the speaker cables are wired 1+ and 1-, you'll need to disassemble the speakon plug to make a wiring change. Unthread the collar, slide it down the cable, gently pull the Speakon plug apart...the body will slide forward (IIRC) but I may be mistaken.

Look on the insulator near the wiring terminals for markings. They're hard to find sometimes, so having a flashlight or other bright light will help.

Simple unscrew the terminal for 1- and move the wire to 2+. Make sure that the screw is tight and that you didn't miss any wire strands.

Reassemble the Speakon plug and be sure to clearly mark the cable with some colorful tape or similar to remind you that it is wired for bridging.

Test it by plugging it into Channel 1's speaker jack, set the amp up for bridging and plug your preamp in to Channel 1's input.

I apologize if there are any glitches in my description...my wife needs the computer and I'm typing faster than I want to.

Good luck and please ask questions if you have them...
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Oh...one thing before I get clobbered...

If your Speakon plugs only have two terminals inside...you'll need a new plug as the the two terminal ones can't be used for bridging....
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You are correct, sir. Look at the jacket on your Speakon connector. You need one that says "NL4FC." If it says "NL2FC", you need to get new connectors.

7. What exactly do you mean by "unthread the collar." I'm guessing the collar is the blue thing that's connected to the main black thing that you plug into the power amp. I think I can get the rest if I could just figure out to take it apart.

PS: I love you
  8. Rhythmron

Oct 24, 2008
    Hello I've been trying to find an answer to this question < I'm new to this site so don't know if this is proper place to ask this question but here I go.In wiring a speakon connector to an old speaker cable for one end to use in back of amp to (speakon) would I use the 1+ sleeve to the center 1/4 plug end and the 1- to the outer sleeve of the 1/4 connector ? P S if this not right place for Question let me know where to post Thanks
  9. rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    would a gk speaker cable work for you they are 4 wire
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Hi Ron, welcome aboard!

Yes, you're correct. 1+ goes to the tip of a 1/4 in. phone plug, 1- goes to the sleeve.
  11. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I too was wondering as I read this if a GK speakon cable would work for him. I never used GK cabs so I had the, 6', 4 connector speakon cable, that came with my GK1001RBI I bought a few years ago, cut in half and rewired each end as +1/-1 to have 2 regular 3 foot long speakon cables, still use em today. And yes those numbers inside are tiny and hard to see, use small flashlite or magnifying glass even. Also, if the wires are tinned be sure to cut back to the wire strands as the screws hold better.