Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Special Cables for cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Hey,
    I will be getting an Ashdown 300MAGH head for my bday in 2 week. I was wondering, is there a certain cable I need to hook the head with the cab up? Can I) use a reg. instrument cable? Or is tehre a special cab cable or something? Thanks!

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Don't use instrument cable. There are cables made for connecting heads to cabs, such as the ones listed here. Lower gauges (16 gauge and under) are better. I use 12 gauge speaker cable myself.

3. thanks so much man!

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Happy Birthday!

Between the head and cab any cable will do--but there is a slight risk with using a regular instrument cable. An instrument cable has 2 conductors and a shield. The conductors are thin (usually 24-18 guage), and can break and make contact with the shield or each other, shorting the amp and possibly blowing something up. A SPEAKER cable has thick conductors (12-16 guage), well insulated from each other, and no shield to short out on. Also, a speaker cable is generally cheaper, and you don't have to worry as much about the guitarist grabbing it when he forgot his ;) . Either is fine, but I personally don't like taking the risk of using an instrument cable long-term.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    NEVER use an instrument cable between your amp and speaker cabinets, always use speaker cables!

If the cable is no longer than 5', 16 gauge should be fine. If the cable needs to be longer than that, get 12-14 gauge.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +10000

7. Buy good, high quality speaker cables. These smoke cheap, low budget cables.

8. I'm gonna get a Monster Cable Standard 100 Speaker Cable 3'
    3 feet is all I need.