1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

specific about short scale flatwound strings: lime green wrappings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fcort90, Nov 1, 2013.

1. fcort90

fcort90

Nov 1, 2013
    Hi,

first of all, i'm knew to this forum thing, so hello to everyone! Recently I got hold of a used hofner beatle bass. It came with flatwound strings and I simply loved them. I haven't been able to find out what brand they are, so i wondered if anyone could help me out: they are of course short scale, sort of mid tension and have lime green silk wrappings on both ends. They have little to no brightness and a thumpy sound i guess. Compared to TI flats, very different in sound and feel (i found that TIs are sort of "sticky").

Can anyone help me out here? i've searched everywhere and haven't been able to find out.

thanks!

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Old set of the new fender flats?

3. fcort90

fcort90

Nov 1, 2013
    I thought that at first, but fenders don't come in short scale. Plus the silk color is a bit darker green than the ones I have. Any other thoughts?

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    They used to come in short scale.

5. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lime Green silk flats on a Hofner. Those are likely Pyramid strings. I have had those same strings come on several Hofners I have owned.

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Pyramid, without a doubt. Black silk for a few years in the early-mid 90s, then bright lime green until about 6 years ago, then to the current dark green. Very good on Hofners.

7. fcort90

fcort90

Nov 1, 2013
    hey thanks for the help! here are some pictures of the strings, maybe you or somebody can confirm for me, I would be veery thankful... also they are wound very "tightly", unlike for example thomastiks.

lafoto1_zpscd811da1.
    lafoto2_zpse73347f3.
    lafoto3_zps75359010.

again, thanks for all the help!

8. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Those are Pyramids for sure. 2 of my Hofners currently have them. Those are my favorite string by far. I love the sound and the feel of them.

9. fcort90

fcort90

Nov 1, 2013
    thanks you guys for the help!

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Case closed!

11. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I might've taken the lime green silk as Hofner branded flats; not Pyramids.

I think of Pyramids having a soft purple or lavender silk.