Spector damage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Ok, I bought a spector 5 string a few weeks ago for christmas and just got to open it today. Nowwe got it home, locked it a room for which only my father has the keys for. The Bass was in perfect condition upon purchace. Let me specify, NO ONE HAS TOUCHED THIS BASS SINCE THE PURCHASE!

Upon opening it this morining, (it hadnt be wrapped, just taken out of the room and moved about 10 meters to get to the living room) I found a gigantic crack right down the back spanning from the neck in the cutaway all the way to where my armpit would be whilst playing. I was very distressed, i almost cried! I was devestated, not to mention the crack had about (I **** you not) about 20 smaller cracks spanning from it. I felt life stabbing someone with a knife or similar.

So my question is, what would have done this? the heat maybe? I dont see how it could, it looks as tho someone has placed it face down and stood on it! Is there anything could have cause such damage?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Massive heat change, from really really cold, to really really hot.

Massive humidity change, from really really moist, to really really dry.

It falling over.
  3. yeh, falling over is what i thought, but...

1. the room is too small for it to fall over.

2. That much damage from it falling over? maybe is say, a train fell on it as well...
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If the room is too small for it to have fallen over, then its gotta be temperature / humidity... doesnt it? I dont know, I'm only really speculating here :)
  5. thats cool, but the room is actually a cool temperature most of the time, a walk in wardrobe to be presice. so i was more thinking something wrong with the bass, maybe spectors are prone to these things?
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's not normal, and to my knowledge, NO bass is prone to this.

My thinking is it could have happened in the store. Even if you inspected the bass in the store and didn't *notice* any cracks doesn't mean it didn't have tiny cracks before you brought it home. The cracks may have simply expanded while stored in the wardrobe.

Because it's new, it is under warranty. Contact the dealer and have them replace the bass. If they won't, call Spector. I can guarantee you that PJ Rubal will take good care of you.