1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Legend 5, Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, or Stiletto Custom 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, Oct 16, 2013.

1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Usually when I browse guitarcenter's used section or eBay, I see these two go for around the same price, around $400 - $500. I've seen good reviews for all 3 of them, but I'm wondering which one would be the higher quality bass? Has anyone tried all three, or would you recommend any other 35'' scale 5-string in the price range?

EDIT: I tried searching for answers and such, but I still couldn't get a definitive opinion.

2. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Honestly out of the three, the Spector is going to be the highest quality, but the best thing to do is to go and play them all for yourself and see which one you like :)

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    All the Spector guys will say Spector. :)

I think Schecter easily makes the best bang for your buck bass.

The Lakland 5501 is generally in the 600 range. It would be my choice.

4. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I considered Lakland, as well as the Schecter Diamond P5, but the wide necks kinda turn me off.

EDIT: Scratch that, was thinking of a different Lakland. The 5501 actually looks somewhat narrow. I can deal with it.

5. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I think it depends on your style and feel of the bass i have a spector and schecter and both are awesome basses.. mine are 4 stringers though . I had a euro 5 and a fender am deluxe jazz 5 and they were both great basses but the spector B string was way better sounding IMO .. if you go with a spector legend 5 or the schecters I believe they have the same Pick ups just different pre amps .. if you have a store you can try them both out at i would recommend that first each bass and person are diffferent

6. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    My nearest store doesn't stock Spector and mostly stocks Schecter guitars, rarely their basses, so that's out of the question for me. :(

And I'm going for a bit of a more aggressive sound. Think Eddie Jackson, Frank Bello, Geddy Lee, and Dick Lövgren.

7. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    I bought a Stiletto Studio 6 string and l love it. I tried a few Spectors before hand but they just didn't have the sound I wanted. The Stiletto Custom is nice also but the Studio for the price in my opinion just sounds so much better. You can get a crazy amount of tones out of that bass.

8. The ESP/Ltd B205SM should probably be on this list. It easily competes with all those as well as instruments costing far more... One of the great sleeper basses out there.

9. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    I agree with you. I have an older B205 that I use along side my Stiletto Studio. These are really nice sounding basses and the price can't be beat.

10. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the heads-up. If I wasn't a scale-length whore, I'd be on that, but I tried a friend's 35'' 5-string, and I was converted. :p

And if I don't like the stock pickups on either, I'll either replace them with the EMG 40J/40P5 set or just go dual 40Js.

11. Having played all 3, as well as the Schecter Diamond Custom P5...the only one on your list I would consider is the Legend 5...then a Custom P5. I wasn't a fan of the Stiletto.

I have dual 40J in my ReBop5. They're nice. :) That being said, the pickups in the Legend aren't bad.

As for scale length...while more 35" B strings are better sounding than most 34" B strings, there are quite a few good 34" B strings that are REALLY good.

12. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I'm sure there are some, but since these 3 basses fit my criteria, I'm going to focus on them. Thanks for the tip, though.

And I really love the EMG J sound, but I'm sure I'll also dig the stock ones. If it bothers me, I'll do the switch.