Spector Legend 5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MohawkHarry, Oct 31, 2004.

1. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    I want to hear from owners or people who have had the chance to pick one up at their local dealer.
    Okay I want to know about build quality, sound and playability.
    I play guitar as well as bass and own a Peavey USA made Wolfgang guitar. I have picked up Peavey's EXP "import" version of the same guitar and it's pretty hard to find any flaws on the import.
    With Spector basses in this case the Legend 5 string imports can I expect US quality, like with Peavey imports?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have not played the new Legend series, but I have played and owned spectors for awhile now- I used to have a korean built Q5, which is being replaced by the legend. The Legend series is being built in the same factory as teh Q's as far as I know (still Korean made) and my experience with Korean spectors has been great quality for the money. Are they on par with the USA spectors? Not at all. USA Spectors are custom-built on order, and street price is around $2,800-$4,000 new, depending on model and options. For the $400-$500 street price on the Q series, they were a good value, and a reliable, solid instrument with great tonal options. I have no doubt the Legend will follow this trend- Spector has a high build-quality standard. The legends offer somethign the Q'sdidn't as well- a J and humbucker on teh 5'er instead of jsut dual humbuckers. I'd like to try one whenever GC gets some in stock...
  3. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    The closest Spector dealer to me is 150 miles away and they never have 5'ers in stock so getting to try one out is a tuff one.
    I know one thing for shure the korean factory that was building the Wolfgang EXP's had their stuff together. They build them so good it's hard to pay extra for the made in USA stamp.
    Are the backs of the Q5 and Legends scooped out like the USA model Spectors? "belly bowl"
  4. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    The Q-5's, not; the Legends, yes

If you're going with the Korean Spectors, definitely go with the Legend series. I've tried 'em and I wish I was a little quicker on the trigger when I got mine early in '04. It was shortly after I bought my Q-5 that the Legends came out. I would have swapped for one in a heart-beat. Big tonal difference in the Legend series for the same price as the older Q-5's.