1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

spector or schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xMaxBASSx, Apr 8, 2009.

1. xMaxBASSx

xMaxBASSx

Mar 6, 2009
    Mansfield MA
    Hey everyone. Ive been looking for a new bass now for a while and ive narrowed it down to either a spector legend 5 or a schector deluxe 5.
    of course though being me, i can't decide between the two so i was wondering if any one had suggestions.:confused:

2. IMO schectors seem like cheapo spectors.

3. i have a schechter, for the money it was great but i dont think it had a very good pre-amp. so i cut it out and made it a passive. now it sounds great. i dont have a spector but i hear they sound good. but the only things that really matter are which one sounds the best to you and which one feels the best in your hands so what i suggest is that you play each one of these on a rig closest to yours and then decide.

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Really? I dont see that at all. Other than the fact that both brands tend to use EMG pickups, I really dont see much in the way of similarities.

+1 on this suggestion-try them both out and see which one feels and sounds best to you.

5. uhh.hell no they don't...schecters cost about the same a specters.-1 to you dude :mad:

6. i'd say go with the schecter.spectors are butt ugly IMO,they do have good tone.but so do schecters

7. i would suggest having a look into a schecter hellraiser 5, i love mine to bits :)

although i also love my spector

8. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I like Schecters - Diamond Series Stiletto elites are a good buy. Great sound at a reasonable price... plus they're pretty. :D

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Says the dude with a Spector NS2-J in his Profile as a current bass...

IMHO, Schecters have great 'bones' and either are great complete basses for some or many people, or absolutely fantastic with some minor changes electronically depending on your personal needs. Keep in mind that MANY people here will buy a $600 - $1000+ Fender bass and change the pickups and electronics in them, so 'why' are people so critical of someone doing it on a Schecter or other brand of bass?

Play a bunch of basses and buy whichever gives you the feel, sound and look you prefer, which the last (look) being the least important in my opinion.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I had to make this same decision a few years ago. I ended up going with the Schecter.

Both are good options at that price point. Try to get your hands on both of them and buy the one that speaks to you.

11. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    If u get the spector, u'll be tempted to try even better spectors!
    If u get the schecter, u won't have this problem because there aren't any high-end schecters as far as i know.
    Both will do their job fine though.
    Your decision.
    (I'd get the spector, but i'm a spector fan :) )

12. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

They're called OLD Schecters. :)

13. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I did see a CS Riot model the other day.

It was around 3K...here it is.
    [​IMG]

(Also, what's with the red lettering on the bridge pickup?)

14. Neither. Save up for a Czech Spector, IMO.

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've played both of the guitars you are trying to decide against, and I think that the Schecter is a way better bass for the money. Every Schecter i've ever played was good quality and I miss the model T that I sold.

Also, as far as there not being highend schecters, try their USA custom shop.

16. the Specter NS2-J is in my Gas section. Not my current bass.
    edit: says the dude with two current Schecters and one previously owned.

my post was of course only a reflection of my own perception.
    in honesty i haven't compared prices, but i have compared basses. the schecters, besides the EMGs seem to also like to bare the whole 'small body' aesthetic, general pickup configuration and are aimed at the same market.
    this could all just be in my head but they seem more mass produced and sterile.

this is not to say that they cant and don't sound good.
    i believe any well set up and built individual instrument can sound great.
    i just voiced my opinion on the brands.

17. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

It's an EMG MM-TW pick-up. It's an Music Man style pup, that can be switched from single to dual coils. They are also offered on 4 and 5 string US BO Spector models.

It's a real toss-up between the Legend Classics and Schecter Studios, I ended up with a Legend Classic. You might want to also check out Legend Customs.

Anyone who's been on TB for more than a week knows that these threads amount to nothing more than popularity polls with bits of information mixed in. To rag on someone for having a different preference is asinine.

18. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I tested the legend classic, and a stiletto (I beleive it was a deluxe). I walked away with the Spector. They have similar pickups (EMG SSD vs. HZ), but the Spectors pre-amp had a much better tone to it. I thought the schecter sounded more thin and nasaly (but not in a bad way), and the Spector to be more meaty.

Also they weighed roughly the same, but the necks were completely different. The schecter has a very thin and fast neck, while the Spectors is thicker, but equally as fast.

I am wanting to try out one of those 8 string studios though.

19. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    really!?! i thought it was the rules. ;)

one more for the popularity vote - i love spectors. oh, and even though you haven't asked, you should also get a gallien-krueger. it's a classic combination and the only sound worth having. did i go too far? :bag:

20. vicvon

vicvon

Dec 13, 2008
    I have a schecter 004 and absolutely love it. The neck is thin and fast and the pups are punchy as all get out.