1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Performer 4 DLX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Idroppedit, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Idroppedit

Idroppedit

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    I ran across an ad on Craigslist for a spector performer 4 dlx. The guy is wanting $200 for it used with missing knobs and etc.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3149891891.html

Is this guitar worth what he's asking? I don't feel that it is as it seems to be Spector's lowest line of bass, in which case makes me wary of investing.

What do you guys think?

2. Witnar

Witnar

Jul 22, 2012
    Cedar Park, Texas
    According to this link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...2544334.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1383618287 Guitar Center is selling one of these for about $262 with shipping and taxes, so your deal is comparable. I play a Korean Spector - looks a little nicer than this, but I paid about $500 new. It's my best bass - and I have several decent basses. Even if it is made in Korea, it is made to Spector specs, and besides, the Koreans are pretty darn good guitar builders. You can probably resell for $200 if you don't like it.

3. Idroppedit

Idroppedit

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    I guess my question is: Not only is the price good but is the bass worth owning as it seems to be spectors low end.

4. Witnar

Witnar

Jul 22, 2012
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Having not played the bass, I cannot answer the question of whether the bass is worth $200. When buying something off Craigslist, I would say you are always taking a gamble of sorts but then, $200 isn't $2000 either. As for your seeming to place a stigmata on Spector's 'low end,' that doesn't really make sense to me. In my experience, which is admittedly somewhat limited, ALL Spector basses are good basses.

5. Idroppedit

Idroppedit

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    I apologize. I didn't mean to give it a "stigmata". I am usually just afraid of playing things like Squire, Epiphone, etc. Because, from my experience, tho each sub brand here makes a good instrument, these instruments are typically sub-par (tonally, fret and board quality, electronics quality, and general hardware quality) This is not 100% true and I realize that but sometimes it is more than just true, its unfortunate. Some people swear by the squires and epiphones of the world and that's OK.. Taste is unique for all of us.

However, by me calling this particular spector 'low end' I might have called it Entry Level instead and it have made more sense. I am not looking for a bass that is good enough. I am very interested in playing some Spector basses, I just do not want my first experience with them to be negative. This particular bass concerned me a little at first seeing as the owner expresses some wear and missing knobs etc. yet was only $29 cheaper than musicians friend on something that would have had less missing parts.

I play mostly Ibanez basses. I have never played a spector, so I ask for an objective opinion regarding this particular model of this particular bass. I would never purchase anything on craigslist without playing it first, guitars, cabs, amps, you name it i've played it first. There is no gamble here other than I simply do not want to be ripped off. so...

Would you purchase this bass? What does anyone think of this bass? Perhaps someone who has played this particular bass?

6. Witnar

Witnar

Jul 22, 2012
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Well, yes. If I didn't already have a Korean Spector and had a chance to pick one up for $200, yes, I would buy it. I have not played that particular model. This is the one I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECTOR-LG4...W-/310411110402?pt=Guitar&hash=item4845f1a802 It is really a much nicer bass than I was expecting. Also, to clarify 'nice', I am talking about really easy to play, well intonated, and good fretwork. Never had any bother with the neck warping.

7. Idroppedit

Idroppedit

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    Ah yeah. I was doing a little spector research earlier and ran across this model.. Good reviews on it from what I have seen so far. I should probably just save up a little and get one like this. Though, I dunno... perhaps you are correct in that, if I don't really like it, I can just sell it for what I paid maybe...

I spend more time talking myself out of stuff than into it. You would be surprised to how many things I don't have because I talked myself out of them.

8. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I used to own one of those years ago, it played and sounded great. I'd pick it up if I came across one again. great backup!