1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Performer Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marnold, Aug 13, 2007.

1. marnold

marnold

Apr 29, 2007
    Hi all,

Just a bit of background: when I was in college in the 80s I played bass in a metal and then a bluegrass (yes, you read that correctly) band. I had a Peavey Fury P-bass. Upon graduation from grad school I sold my bass and amp, figuring foolishly that I'd never use them again. I've been regretting that decision ever since.

I'm considering getting a bass again and don't have a ton of cash to spend. I noticed that Musician's Friend is blowing out the Spector Performer 4 DLX. Back in the day, I really wanted a high-end Spector but could never justify the cost. I still can't justify a U.S. or Euro-made one, but this one I can. The reviews seem to be generally favorable for the price. My question was specifically about the back of the neck. Is it painted? Bare wood? Satin or gloss? Unfortunately, I can't find anyone who carries them anywhere close to me to try one out myself.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    What's your price range? If you could afford about $500 and really want a Spector, I'd look at Evilbay for a used Rebop or NS-2A. To be perfectly honest, if I were you and only had $300-$400 to spend, I'd wait and save up for a higher end model Spector. The Performer series isn't bad for the money, but for a few bucks more, you'll be happier with the quality of a higher end model.

Edit: Keep your eye out for ebay regardless. A couple of weeks ago, a Euro sold for $590. There are still deals to be had.

3. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Nah but MF is selling them for like 230$ very nice bass for the price, the only rival in it's price IMO is the Peavey millenium. I love Spectors though, they feel amazing! Oh and it's not painted

4. marnold

marnold

Apr 29, 2007
    Well, my budget is extremely cramped. If it wasn't a Performer, I was going to go for some SX.
    Is it a satin or a glossy finish on it?

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  6. marnold

marnold

Apr 29, 2007
  7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    IIRC, B stock is stuff like returns that are in good condition but
    cannot be sold as new. I've never bought anything B stock from them personally, but from what I've heard, they're not bad. It'd be worth a try since MF has a good return policy.

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
  9. marnold

marnold

Apr 29, 2007
    "Very rough" in what respect? Construction? Tone? Unfortunately, the bass I will most likely get is one that I won't be able to try first, so any extra info would be appreciated.

10. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    well the feel is rough plain and simple feels kinda unfinished, the tone is OK i guess. The construction is what would keep me away from Grinds IMO. When I picked it up it had the nice peavey feel of the neck but the build quality seems kinda unpredictable, it kinda seemed like the g-string didn't have enough space on the fretboard and it was always kinda buzzing off onto the side when pressed quickly sometimes, honestly the spector neck is great and I'd go for the spector, much more refined.

11. jay440

jay440

May 22, 2007
    Cleveland, OH.
    This is the Performer 4 DLX model?

Is it the one in Black Matte finish?

I got one from E-Bay for $215, and it's an incredible buy for the money, IMHO.

It's lightweight, it hangs just right on me, the width and profile of the neck is not too much for my small (for a bassist) hands at all...but for me it's the Matte finish that really makes it.

Make sure that you get a Black Matte model with the neck also in Matte: Mine is, and that makes this bass feel very comfortable to play. I don't have any problems with the fretwork on it it all.

CONS: Even though it sounds good unplugged, I'm considering doing something with the electronics: Those EMG-HZs don't really "speak" as clearly as I'd like unless I use the EQ on my Korg AX1B pedal to boost the highs and lows a little.

Overall, though, it is a nice change of pace from my Rickenbacker.