1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector 'sound'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CBNJ, Oct 15, 2013.

1. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    As many of you may know, I have serious GAS for a Spector. The main factor for this is due to Mic Todd, especially how he sounds on this video. Which Spectors will have THIS sound? I think he uses a Euro 4LX. Will Legends have it? Rebop? I'm lost.. Any help is great! ;)

2. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Seems like he uses the Rebop for 5-string work and Euro4XL.

3. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any cheaper way to do it, or do I need to spring for those? :p

4. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I've seen Rebop 4 and 5 strings go pretty cheap (around $400 - $700) on eBay and other sites. The Rebop and Euro are similar, the Rebop having a bolt neck.

5. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cool.. I'll be on the lookout! Here is what it says on the Wiki page.. Rebops always have passive pickups?

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Just check Ebay, tonnes of XL basses aswell.. And yes, second hand;)

7. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I'm not extremely smart with high-end Spectors, but I believe they should, unless you find one that was replaced with real EMGs.

8. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Rebops came stock with EMG-HZ passive pickups and Spector Tone pump preamp. You may get lucky and find one that has been upgraded to actual EMG's as a lot of people make that switch.

9. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Rebops have passive emgs, euros have actives. All Spectors are great basses. I actually play my Korean Spector mote then my Euro but its been upgraded with active EMGs and a tone pump

10. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Correct, except the the first Legend 5's came with an H/J pup configuration, and a three band pre amp. The tone pump in the newer Legends is actually called the tone pump junior, and has somewhat less output. ( although the regular tone pump output is massive to the point of overkill in the non trim pot versions:)

11. Most of a Spector's sound is the active EMGs through the 9V EQ on a maple bodied neckthru.

That being said, my ReBop 5DLX has the sound. It's just not 100% US Spector.
    My NS-2000/5 that I sold had it, too. A lot of it is in the construction.

Find yourself a used Legend or NS-2000 series. They're wicked & you can go up from there with different pickups & pre-amps down the road. :)

12. Uhh dude...EMG-HZ are ACTUAL EMGs. They're just the passive version. They also lend themselves VERY well to the Spector tone.

I ran them for well over 2 years. I only changed because I wanted a Jazz pickup setup.

13. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I don't know if you're looking for a 4 or 5 string, but don't underestimate the NS2A. The go for anywhere between 4-600 and sound great.

14. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have both a Euro and a couple of Legends. The Euro has the tone pump and the Legend the tone pump jr. I've met Stuart Spector, the shop is a few miles from house and I've brought my Euro in for a setup, and we talked extensively about the USA/Euro/Legend lines. The tone pump jr is basically a lower output tone pump. Stuart told me the story of how he and the designer spent hours tweaking the tone pump until he got it just right. It's output is adjustable, while the jr is fixed. I usually rehearse with a Legend and gig with the Eruo, but I just played a gig last night with one of my Legends. While the Euro is a better instrument, the Legends are excellent. I played well over 100 gigs with my Legend before I bought the Euro.

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Close, but not quite.
    While all TP Jr's are fixed output,
    TP's prior to 2008 are also fixed.
    Only starting in 2008 did they start making them with a trim pot for output.