1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

split coils humbucker pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Apr 3, 2013.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Jan 1, 2012
    I have the thunderbird pro V bass. As I read in other sites the humbucker on the bass have a red cable that not is in use. People thinks that this cable is for active purposes but the pickup is passive, the cable is for serie-parallel configuration. I make the wiring diagram with the pots to make this possible but making it 2 single coils instead of one humbucker can be useful? Anyway the electronics in this bass sucks, low volume output for a active im thinking in changing it all and rewire it more solid.

2. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Jan 1, 2012
    Somebody have and idea? I think im the first in doing this lol.

3. psp742

psp742 Washburn above others.

Jun 4, 2012
    Morganville, NJ
    prbrianpr, I am no expert with humbuckers, but from my knowledge, there ought to be 4-5 wires (depending on pickup maker): white, red, green, black or white, red, green, black, bare. (North - start end / South - start end)

coil-split or coil-tap is a different topic entirely in itself. I have two Washburn Maverick BTM mini with dual humbuckers (RED and BLUE) that I had upgraded with 2x B500k linear push-pull pots MiJ and (RED) Dragonfire Phat Screamer 17.5k bridge 8.8k neck and Allparts dice knob (gold sparkle) / (BLUE) Mightymite Bluebucker 17.8k bridge 10.7k neck and Allparts dice knob (silver sparkle) and Grover rotomatic 3x3 18:1 tuners

4. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah I saw that diagrams I think that the humbuckers that I am talking about uses only 1 wire in the middle of two coils (the two coils are united by one wire) and 2 wire imputs so, because the two coils are conected internally they only used one imput and the other input being a output (ground) so it works in series like a normal humbucker, but with this middle cable I can make a parallel circuit. The thing is that all the cables of a 2 coils humbucker(2 for one coil, 2 for the other coil and one ground are compressed in only 3 cables this time.)

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, with three wires you cannot make it parallel. When you take the series connection to ground you make it single coil.