1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

squealing pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 250GBsOfAwesome, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I've got a PJ bass with 3 pots. Neck volume, Bridge and tone. The bridge volume is really noisy, it'll squeal when turned and if set just right the bass will actually be playable. I opened it up and it seems as if its one of the wires going from the neck pot to the bridge pot. It is a cold solder or something wrong with the pot? The solder looks okay, although I'm no expert.

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    A pot can't really make a squealing sound, not electrically. If something is rubbing you can get a mechanical squeal from a pot when you turn the knob but that will happen whether the bass is connected to an amp or not. If that is what you have then it is almost certainly the pot knob rubbing on something and the fix is probably just moving the knob a little up the pot shaft so it doesn't do that any more.

A scratchy electrical noise that comes when you turn the pot knob is almost always due to a dirty pot element. Various contact cleaners are available and people report varying degrees of success with them. In most cases I find that a dirty pot can be "cleaned" simply by rocking the knob back and forth several times to wipe the pot element but this procedure will have to be repeated periodically, it is seldom a one time and done fix.

Worst case you just replace the pot, it doesn't cost a great deal.

Ken