1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Affinity Jazz Info

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JamesXP, Mar 23, 2013.

1. I'm looking to replace the electronics in my Squier J as they're a bit scratch and generally a bit cheap..

I can get the standard CTS pots but I think the squier ones are mini pots.. will the full size CTS pots fit? if not what do you recommend?

also I will be doing the series/parallel switch mod but I can't find a push pull cts pot in the UK that isn't overly expensive so what else do you recommend that I can get in the UK?

thanks!

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    For full size pots,the control cavity will need to be hogged out just a bit at the front end,but it's hidden by the 'guard/control plate. Concerning the switching,have you considered a toggle-type switch?

3. I have but I'd rather not I like the discreetness of having it as a push/pull pot :)

4. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    You will probably need to get a new control plate or widen the holes on the existing plate because the CTS shafts are a wider diameter than the mini pots that are already there.

5. Thanks for the advice so far..

Are there replacement control plates with bigger holes for the pots that will fit the squier or are the fender/squier pickguards interchangeable?

thanks!

6. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Most of the replacement control plates will have the larger holes for the CTS pots. I say most because there are some sites that sell the Squier plate with the smaller holes. It's not hard to drill the smaller holes out to fit the CTS pots. The other issue you will probably run into is a slight difference in the shape of the existing plate versus the shape of the new plate. Specifically where the plate meets the pickguard. Many times they don't fit against each other. Unfortunately, this is where the differences between Squier Jazzes vs. Fender Jazzes become a real drag.
    To see if you need to rout out the control cavity or not, put the CTS pots in the new control plate and see if they will fit in the existing cavity. Some of the ones I have done did not need any routing and some have.
    In short, it can take some time to do what should be a simple upgrade. That's the best I can tell you.

7. Thanks alot I'll probably end up routing out the existing control plate then or finding the CTS mini pots here..
    thanks alot!

8. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    No problem...believe me, all of what I told you is what I wish I had known before I attempted it the first time. But, I didn't mind the adventure.