1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Classic Vibe 60's P-bass pickguard replacement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arvin, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Hi, everyone,

I just scored a Classic Vibe 60's P-bass, and I'm thinking about replacing the pickguard on it; I really like the look of white pearloid against sonic blue.

Has anyone here replaced one of these yet? I'm wondering if a standard Fender or aftermarket guard will fit on it, or if I'll need to get a custom-made one (tracing it and all).

I know that some Squiers and the like won't take a standard guard, but I'm not sure about this series.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

PS -- this bass is awesome. If anyone's on the fence about getting one, I recommend it. I strung mine up with Chromes, and it does the old-school thump thing in spades. :D

2. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass and one of my old pickguards from a Fender MIA fit on there with absolutely no problems. I did not have to do a thing to it. Granted the pg has the truss rod notch in it, but I can live with that.
    However, I had a Squier Affinity P-Bass and any of my extra pickguards would not fit on there. YMMV

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    warmoth should work as someone here replaced theres with a warmoth guard.

4. TheJerk

TheJerk

Sep 6, 2009
    Good timing... I'm seriously interested in these basses. I haven't tried one out, but I've read a lot online, and I did try out the CV 1950s extensively. I liked that one a lot. Whatever they put on the neck was interesting, but it still played great.

Do you plan on changing anything else on yours?

5. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Thanks for the replies.

I went out and got a Fender pickguard this afternoon, and lo and behold, it fits perfectly. All the screw holes lined up, everything is nice and snug. So, it appears that for the 60's P-bass, anyway, they're using Fender specs on them.

I went with the Vintage Pearl. Here's a pic:

IMG_0191.

The only other mods I've done to it were:

I strung it with flats.
    I swapped the output jack out with a Switchcraft.
    I did some setup work on it.

That's it. Sonic blue, pearloid, flats, lots o' thump. Nice. :D

Maxime1980 likes this.
  6. CapnKattz

CapnKattz

Aug 7, 2010
    What kind of pickguard was it just a standard precsion 13 holes? merry christmas!

7. singinsamaritan

singinsamaritan

Jun 22, 2012
    Arvin,

I had the same curious question last night and your post helped. Got a Fender pick guard today... the same one you did, and popped it on... it took the looks of my Classic Vibe bass (the same one you have) way cooler. I'm also thinking of throwing some Elixir strings on it.

I must say, man... Squire really hit it home with these basses. I'm not as much of a jazz player as I used to be, but I consider the 60's Precision and the 60's Jazz both to be better than very many Fenders I have played. I'm proud to be an owner of this bass!

[​IMG]

8. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I have a Classic Vibe 60,s in Fiesta Red and put a 62 Reissue USA Tort guard on it and holes line up perfect.Have a Novak P pickup in it and Thomastik Flats and with the great neck on it i have no need for a Real Pino!Also have a Matt Freeman P ab\nd bought a Warmoth Ash body finished in Sonic blue and a Parchment Fender guard and its a classic now.I have many very expensive basses and these two Squiers are great sounding and playing.I love the necks on them.had a real 78 P and didn,t compare to these Squiers so i traded it off. Put Thomastik Flats on these for one hell of a fine P Bass!

9. wilfred

wilfred

Jun 17, 2012
    Very nice looking man.