1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Jazz Bass Height Adjustment Screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stereophonic, Apr 6, 2015.

1. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    Hello,

I need to get new Set Screws for my bridge for adjusting the height of the strings on a Squier VM Jazz Bass. The problem is that I can't find specifications of the screws that I need so that they fit. Does anyone know the measurements that I should be googling? Or maybe a link to a store page where I could buy them directly?

Thanks.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

3mm (M3). Hardware store. Hobby shop.

3. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    Would this be compatible with my bridge saddles?: Nickel Metric Guitar Bridge Height Screws | Allparts.com

On that website it seems like the only metric screws are all with hex heads. I was hoping to find something with a regular Slot style screw head because the hex heads seem really weak and easy to wear out.

The reason I need new screws in the first place is because after the first time I tried to adjust my saddle height, the screw heads got rekt by my tool and so now they don't turn. But it may be that the stock screws that came with the guitar were just made badly...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The hex head screws are much more robust and harder to bugger up than slot head screws, provided you use the right tool to turn them. Acquire and use the right tool. If your tool kit damaged them, you either have the wrong size kit or one that's made of inferior material. Buy good quality tools, and it's a good idea to have both metric and SAE hex wrenches.

5. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    I doubt it's the tool's fault because I have the exact size that fits. It's just that when I started fiddling with the screws, some of the heads deteriorated on the inside on the first turn.

But okay, I'll get the hex ones since I don't seem to have a choice anyway. I would just like to be sure that the ones I linked above are the right ones for my guitar.

6. Pilgrim

Take one to the hardware store with you and match it if possible.

Perhaps the original screws were of poor metal quality...the heads shouldn't have stripped out otherwise.

7. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    I just ordered a pack of these: 10X HEX Socket Grub Screw M3 X 8mm | eBay Hopefully they are compatible.

Originally I was going to get the set from allparts.com, but the screws cost like 3 dollars, but the shipping is 20 dollars to canada. So "screw" that...

Tommy Sankstone likes this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Just go to the hardware store or radio control hobby shop. You could do that 14 times before screws arrive from China

9. Pilgrim

It helps with discussions like this if you show your location in your post. (Check mine.) You may not have ACE Hardware in Canada, but that's where I'd go here.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. Why not buy a set of saddles, which come with height and intonation screws? There are a couple to choose from, from plain steel ones, to old-style threaded ones, to brass, to graphite, etc.

11. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    I didn't get saddles in the first place because they cost more than a few screws. But if the ones I got don't fit, I might use that as excuse to grab some nice saddles.

12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Buy a Gotoh 201 from Warmoth for 45 bucks, should be a direct drop-in. Did it with my VM 77 Jazz. Worth it at twice the price and looks good too.

13. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    After you get the new screws installed, don't try to raise the action with the strings at tension; that may be the cause of the screw failures you had.

NathOBX likes this.
  14. Bigben55

Bigben55

Apr 16, 2015
    I too need some new bridge saddle screws. Mine is a 2000 Indonesian Squier Affinity P=bass. The screws work fine, but since I set the bass up(according to Fender specs) the screws stick up and out of the saddles, especially the middle two, to the point where there uncomfortable on my right hand. Need to buy 8 shorter ones. So, 3mm set screws?

15. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah 3M x (insert height here in millimeters). I don't know if there's a difference between calling them 3M vs 3mm, but when I was looking for them on ebay, all of the results that were useful to me showed up as 3M x (height in millimeters)

16. That's what I did, got the Fender threaded saddles so I could align the strings with the pickup poles better. The only thing was I had to drill out the saddle adjustment screw mounting holes a bit to get them to fit. Not a big deal for me.

17. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    The issue with the squier basses is that their pickups are poopie because of the bad alignment of the magnets. So no bridge can fix this. They are simply way out of whack.

I've noticed that my bridge is causing some rattling noises and I want to ask if it would be a good idea to upgrade to a slightly better one? I feel like the squier stock one is very flimsy. I just want something that will hold the strings well without rattling and have the grooves for the height screws to keep the saddles aligned. Budget for this would be below 30-40 dollars since the bass itself is cheap.

Any suggestions?

18. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    FYI my pups align fine w/my VMJ, YMMV.

As far as a new bridge goes try this:

http://go.talkbass.com/?id=3043X598154&site=talkbass.com&xs=1&isjs=1&url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-String-Vintage-Bass-Bridge-CR-For-Squier-Fender-Jazz-Bass-High-Quality-/191458424123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c93cfb53b&xguid=90d7673375827bd1deb0d1ac58607dc4&xuuid=70ff5e25b0fc0e2edc75bc2c1f8e96c9&xsessid=a5dc12bb3a877930b8b84d522d7f90d1&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http://www.talkbass.com/threads/help-i-cant-find-my-favorite-bridge-anymore.1150633/&pref=http://www.talkbass.com/forums/hardware-setup-repair-bg.18/&xtz=240

or

Fender Vintage Style Bass Bridge,19657, 0990804100 | Parts Is Parts - Guitar Parts, Amplifier Parts, Korg Keyboard Parts

or

0990804100 - Google Search

A drop in replacement.

If you really want to get as much stability as you can, consider buying both the first and second bridges, swapping out the saddles, and then selling the plain bent plate bridge.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you have good tools of the correct size and you rounded out the socket on your first use, I have to ask, did you try to raise the saddle without loosening the string? That or the saddle screws were seized in the holes are the only two things I can imagine causing the socket to round out that quickly. It's possible with ball end drivers, but it's usually the other way round, the ball end rounds out rather than the screw socket.

I've adjusted a lot of Fender saddle screws and I've never seen any soft enough to round out on the first try. Usually the thread fit is rather sloppy, making the screw fit too loose and they must be "glued" in place with thread locker or nail polish to keep the saddles from walking down once you've got your setup where you want it.

Also, for miniature metric fasteners, up to M4, look for grade 10-9 to 12-9. Unrated or lower rated fasteners will be soft and wear quickly. Ideally if you could find some in 316 stainless you'd get the best of both worlds, hard and rust resistant. beware though, most small metric fasteners in stainless are going to be 18-8. If you are looking at stainless fasteners and the grade is not called out in the specs, it's a pretty safe bet it's 18-8. Great for washers, but a bit too soft for repeated use with a tool.

20. stereophonic

stereophonic

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    What about this one Brass Bass Bridge Jazz OR Precision NO Mods Required Perfect FIT 201B 4 Badass | eBay
    or
    Bass Bridge FOR Fender Jazz OR Precision Bass Brass Saddles Perfect FIT 201B 4 | eBay
    or
    4 Vintage Saddles Heavy Duty Bridge FOR Squier Fender Jazz Bass Hardtail Chrome | eBay

Yes I did adjust the height without loosening the strings. The tool that came with my bass was bad because it didn't make good contact with the screw holes, so it rounded them out. Since then I've replaced 1 screw that got rounded out beyond use, and I bought a new 1.5mm hex wrench which fits well. Now I STILL do height adjustments without loosening the strings, and the screws are turning well.

Last edited: May 6, 2015